What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Layer properties-gradient overlay no color?

xxnonamexx

I am trying to create a cool 3D web design effect for a header. The issue I have is when I am on a selected layer and the layer properties box opens up I want a gradient overlay of red and for some reason I only get black and white? I also do not see the option to change the gradient style to radial. I am using CS6 and tried CC and same thing. Can anyone assist? Thanks

To apply a gradient without a mask, do it from the gradient tool on the paint bucket flyout. The options are on the toolbar for the gradient type.
Are you trying to apply the gradient using an adjustment layer? If so, is the mask black or white?

Last edited:
If you google creating a cool 3d web design from psd.tuts that is the tutorial I am trying to find. It's only a few steps. Thanks

Er Sorry, I'm a bit confused here.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

If you google creating a cool 3d web design from psd.tuts that is the tutorial I am trying to follow. The part about gradient layers is the step I am stuck at. It's only a few steps. Thanks

Please post the link.
If you google creating a cool 3d web design from psd.tuts that is the tutorial I am trying to follow. The part about gradient layers is the step I am stuck at. It's only a few steps. Thanks

I am unable to post the link due to forum rules for now. But if you google creating a cool 3d web design you will find the link from psd. ThusThus

BRB...I gave u bad info and deleted it. Hang on.

Here is how you get to radial.
GRadient info.JPG

CC. I am wondering now what version the tut used. It was published in 2008. That has to be CS3 or earlier. I don't see an option to select the color as he refers to it. Your gradient choices are in the drop down . Guess you can choose one close to what you need or make one.

Edit-I think what he did was he left out a step. He put a color overlay on it and then the gradient. I think that may work for you.
What version ps is that?

Last edited:
Thanks for the assist. I am now stuck on step 6 Go to Layer>Layer Mask>Reveal All. Using the Gradient Tool, select a Radial Gradient from Black to White and apply a mask to our group. Start the gradient from the center of the group. It doesn't say where to select the radial gradient, what layer I should be on? and center of what group? I am thinking vdivider group.

All of that can be found in the menu bar across the top of your workspace. The Gradient tool is a flyout on the Paint Bucket tool. When you activate it, your Gradient choices appear at the top. You need to choose the Radial option, then there is a black and white gradient found in the Special Effects gradient. Click on the window that drops down the gradient choices. Then click on the little cog/wheel icon in the upper right. That will show you a list of the available gradients. Choose Special Effects, append it to the list and then hopefully you can use the one that's there. Remember, this tut may have different gradient choices in the version he is using. You don't necessarily have exactly what he does.
Thanks for the assist. I am now stuck on step 6 Go to Layer>Layer Mask>Reveal All. Using the Gradient Tool, select a Radial Gradient from Black to White and apply a mask to our group. Start the gradient from the center of the group. It doesn't say where to select the radial gradient, what layer I should be on? and center of what group? I am thinking vdivider group.

I like the banner part and was looking to apply it to a background of an image instead of the dark brown. I think the only way I can do it is using dreamweaver and doing the header by itself in PS. If I flatten the image of the red banner and the black drop shadow will it have a transparent background? Thanks

I am not at the computer. I don't do web work either. I can tell you this , to preserve transparency you must save as PNG or gif . If you have a transparent layer and you flatten it , it will appear as a white background, but if saved as PNG or gif it retains the transparency.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Back