What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Layer Styles / Color Picker

easytiger

Hey
For some reason, when I double click on the color square in my layer palette it only brings up my Layer Styles options box. It no longer brings up Color Picker, or allow me to change the color that I was using to paint with in said layer.

In addition to this, the color box, is no longer a square, it's a horizontal rectangle about double / triple the size of the original square.

Does anyone know what I've done and/or how I can correct this? Any help would be appreciated. I've been googling and experimenting to no avail.

thebestcpu

Guru
C
Hey
For some reason, when I double click on the color square in my layer palette it only brings up my Layer Styles options box. It no longer brings up Color Picker, or allow me to change the color that I was using to paint with in said layer.

In addition to this, the color box, is no longer a square, it's a horizontal rectangle about double / triple the size of the original square.

Does anyone know what I've done and/or how I can correct this? Any help would be appreciated. I've been googling and experimenting to no avail.
could you supply which version of Photoshop you are using, the os version you are using and a screen shot or partial screen shot showing this colored bar. I think that would help me understand your issue s bit better.

easytiger

C

could you supply which version of Photoshop you are using, the os version you are using and a screen shot or partial screen shot showing this colored bar. I think that would help me understand your issue s bit better.

Of course, apologies for that.
Photoshop CC2019
OS Mojave 10.14.2

I've attached a screen shot of what my layer palette looks. You can see the difference, this is my only layer like this.
I've also attached what it's like when I double click on the colour and what comes up instead of colour picker. If anyone can help me, as I can't change the colour : (

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 10.29.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 10.34.36 PM.png

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi easytiger. I think I figured part of this out
- First, that lower layer is not a Color Fill Layer, I believe it is a pixel Layer. That's why it does not open the color picker and opens the Layer Styles instead. Different behaviors for difference Layer Types
- Second, that rectangular box threw me for a bit yet you probably have the thumbnail options to show the Layer Bounds instead of Document bounts. The Layer Bounds for that Layer is not doubt rectangular.

This would be come more obvious if you use a larger thumbnail size in your Layer panel in from the drop down in the upper right corner of the Layers Panel and chose Panel Options
I may not have figured out all the nuances yet I believe this explains 90% of what you see.
That's my best shot at it.

To fix this, you would need to change that one Layer to a Color Fill Layer instead of a pixel Layer
John Wheeler

easytiger

Thank you so much for this info.

I think I solved the problem based on your info and your guidance. What I did I created a new "Solid Color Layer" and dragged the mask from the "pixel layer" into the new Solid Color Layer and voila. Problem solved. Without your suggestion, I'm not sure I would have gotten there! Thank you.

1. Create new solid colour layer

Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 12.02.08 AM.png

2. Drag Mask up to new Color Fill Layer and Replace Mask

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 11.59.08 PM.png