What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

layer styles......

sfm

Guru
I have suddenly started this week having probs with the layer styles like when I want to add a drop shaddow or stroke etc

it still does it - don't get me wrong but............

when I click on layers/ layer style....... I can go and put the kettle on before it comes up on the screen so I can change shadow direction or stroke size etc....... last week it would flick up on the screen in a second as it has always done but now...... it takes longer like almost a minute (listen to me whinge about one minute! ha ha ha)......... I have not loaded anything or installed anything......... just working as usuall........ the only thing that has changed is a faster CPU, mainboard and ram - at least I don't remember doing anything else, I do have a backup of my prefrence file that would be a couple of months old but I don't know if it has anything to do with it and I am confused....... I may have loaded extra styles from another folder into ps but why that would slow down my stlyes I have no idea............ any one care to take a stab at it?
sfm

Don't think loading the extra style is a concerm here Sue. Sounds like a system problem. Have you updated windows lately? G posted a note about users installing a new security fix that's rendered some system useless.

Have you tried resetting your prefs yet?

Sue, this is the link Mark was talking about;

http://www.photoshopgurus.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2676 (Windows XP)

First try what Mark said. If you haven't updated PS 6 to 6.01 or 7 to 7.01, then you might consider that now.

You're not unique with that problem; I've read about it many times, but I can't remember what the solution was, but I'm pretty sure that it had to do with Photoshop only.
I have to check that later this day ;)

Hold on, rescue is coming! :B

Sue about Layer styles. You may want to reinstall PS7 sounds like a corrupt file to me.

More on Layered Styles!!
Here's a link to Ben Willmore tips. www.digitalmastery.com tips 4/28/03. You'll love it. . I followed these incredible tips on an existing psd file. I was completely blown away. For example, you can drag in any layer style and alter the later one or all the layers if linked. Fantastic and then scale the effect, and remember it will apply to layers that are linked.

If you read the entire tip sheet you'll be amazed at what Layer Styles can do plus multiple strokes, etc.

PS is full of little known mysteries like this, discovery is a treat! 8) ENJOY 8}

win 98 finally crashed on me guys and it was time to install XP.....
I had to uninstall and reinstall all of my Adobe programs because I installed corell wrong which was the straw that broke 98's back and Adobe he he he

now I just have the problem with before a program loads XP waits for something? or so it seems argh I hate waiting! after speaking with someone else they too have to wait before a program loads [upset] and they too can only print one copy of an invoice from MYOB...... sure there must be settings some where for this printing prob but with so much on my plate I haven't had time to look into it and today is a sad day with a funeral scheduled in :(

Joy thanks for the link I get Ben's newsletters too and yes they are very helpfull hints :B
sfm

Layer Styles

You might like to try this idea -

Create a new layer and give it a layer style.
Then take a brush and draw on the layer. The strokes show up in the layer style. Calligraphic brushes, especially if wide, can be used to create letters or shapes; for example: draw a treetrunk in the chosen style, and then, creating a new layer with a different style, you can paint in the leaves.

Back