What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let Photoshop find the center of your document

AppleCider

Power User
The trick here is to be sure you have a layer filled with your foreground color (don't ask me why, but at least in PS 6 this only works with a layer completely filled with the foreground color) Then, with that layer active, activate your rulers. Be sure "Snap" is checked under the View menu. Drag a horizontal guide from the top ruler; it will snap to the center of the document. Do the same with a vertical guide; it will also snap to the center.

AppleCider ... I tried it out in PS7 and it did'nt work ... :( ... maybe I missed something, I'm not very bright :D

Here it does work in PS7.01, but not only with the foreground colour, but also with the standard opening of a white doc, and the background colour too, and also at the top/bottom, or left/right hand side.

Namvet, would you mind trying it again?

Open any new doc
activate View>Show>Guides
activate View>rulers
activate View>snap

with the move tool, gently click on the ruler and drag downwards from the horizontal ruler (top) and you will (should) feel a slight hesitation towards the top/centre/bottom. Unclick and the guide snaps to the top/centre/bottom.
The same applies for the vertical ruler.

This is the only 'action' that I have ever used... and I use it regularly. Nifty little 'time-saver' that simply finds the centre of your document. Help yourselves, if you want. :)

Very cool, Wendy, thanks!

:( ... Erik .. I tried it again .. but ... I can't get the guides to work (doh![confused]) ... as in guides is greyed out ... refer image below ... :( :(

But the vertical bar on your image with
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

on it , isn't that the vertical guide?

try toggling Ctrl+;, the bars/guides should appear and disappear.

also try clicking on them and dragging from them...

Almost... the graduated bar is the ruler... CTRL+R
From there you can create guides...

It is not possible to show/hide guides unless you create one, as Erik pointed out by click/dragging from the ruler. ..

Being some kind of anarchist, I always mess up with rulers and guides.
Of course you are right, Pierre.

LOL! anarchist or anar... chic? hey, you moved out of absurdia? B7

(of course, I wasn't nitpicking, nor making mr Knowitall, but feared some confusion for newcomers to Ps)

I never had any problems admitting that I made a mistake, and this was indeed a very confusing one.

The carbon is still in Absurdia, but the rest of mpe is now in the twilight zone. Maybe after halloween I'll come back from this journey...who knows???

You're the first one who saw it...

[confused] I knew you've got no problem... :rofl: I just wanted to make clear for everyone that there was no bad attitude in my answer... No problem, compatriot! :perfect:

Nonsense again... excuse me for making you excuse yourself for something that you didn't do 8[ 8[ 8[

Erik ... yup, got it ... I feel really dumb, of course "rulers up = guides on" ... I just looked at the greyed out guides and hit the help button [doh] .. must be having a brain dead day :D ... thanks for your patience :perfect: ... I appreciate it ... btw, I still had problems getting the guide to find the center .. but then realised that the guide has to be near the center before unclicking ... anyway all is well now :D :D

wbiss .. thanks for posting that file but, ....:( .... what on earth do I open a .atn file with?? .... like I said in the previous post to Erik, I'm having a brain dead day :D

It is an action... namvet, save it to your hd, in the folder photoshop / presets / photoshop actions.

In photoshop, go to the actions palette, select load actions and select the new ones you just saved...

sPECtre tx for posting up that explanation. ;)

;)

I wish there was a way to make a mouseover pop up that would recognize the .atn extension and have a small explanation
(of course, if you zip or chane the extension, we'd be lost...) or Adobe should make a way for Photoshop to recognize the extension and load the file in the palette... but It must be impossible...

I haven't tried it out, but it may well be that you can make a zip exe file open to a certain folder. I'll try it out later.

Back