What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LICENCE PLATEs on the internet

MentosCubing

Power User
I don't think that's legal.

MentosCubing

Power User
It is usually illegal to post someone's license plate online without their permission, because you have now allowed anybody with internet access the opportunity to backtrace and find the person who owns it. If you're trying to "deblur" it, that's even worse, because you are deliberately exposing their identity in the form of this license plate. You are also now liable if anyone does find the person as a result of seeing their license plate, but even if they don't, I'm pretty sure that's a federal offense.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
It is usually illegal to post someone's license plate online without their permission

Quid all newspapers and magazines posting 'traffic' pictures on public domain from which the licence plate are not or rarely blurred?
There are very few (if) countries allowing civilians to consult motor vehicles registration databases with adress of the owner...
This is an international forum and therefore laws differ in each country.

A search on Google: https://www.google.be/search?q=road...HdadD1sQpwUIHg&biw=1920&bih=954&dpr=1#imgrc=_

MentosCubing

Power User
You make a fair point. I'm not certain because I'm no legal expert, and we have no way of knowing the country in which these photos were taken (or their legality, but if they haven't been taken down, I guess we can assume they're legal). I think there are some exceptions regarding news and public domain, but I don't know, I'm some random teenager off the Photoshop Gurus forum.
You don't necessarily need government database access to find the info you need (I have verified my friends' car model by typing their license plate into some site online, but not much more than that), but many states in the US do offer civilians access to a government service that can run a plate.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I can only refer to my post #7, this is an international forum and we do not have the means to check each law for each country...
I'm not saying I do not agree with you in a way but it is what it is...

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@MentosCubing Either way it doesn't matter. This forum is not responsible for any photos or their content posted by it's members, legal or otherwise, This forum is not the internet police. Any legal liability falls directly on the member who posted the questionable image or any member who edits said image.