What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lightroom links and tutorials

sPECtre

Guru
As Lightroom is now available on both platforms, let's see some of the resources that can help us understand and discover that new program:

http://photoshopnews.com/2006/07/18/adobe-lightroom-beta-3-for-windows-released/
(and all the links in that story)

As well as: http://computer-darkroom.com/lightroom_win/lr_win.htm (Look for other Lightroom tutorials on Computer-Darkroom)

http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/lightroom/

http://www.photoshopuser.com/lightroom/index.html

And the official Lightroom forums: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom/?sdid=IGRA

Thanks sPECtre.
I noticed from reading replies that Lightroom evidently runs slow. I have yet to download and try it out, but I was wondering if anyone around here came to similar conclusions about Lightroom's performance. \:/

More resources:
http://photoshopnews.com/2006/07/20/lightroom-resources-updated-2/

p?tr??k, for the moment, the Windows build is indeed, not so optimized for speed. but it allows you already to experiment that new workflow. Anyways, I would not recommend using a beta program for important stuff, rather to use it on copies of your files.

I'm sure that with the Engineers (*) that are working on Adobe Lightroom, it will become a must have tool that will fit the fotographer's workflow. I recommend to read the very first tutorials on lightroom mac, as they explain the basics, and working with lightroom will become more intuitive...

(*) Thomas Knoll, creator of Photoshop and ACR
Mark Hamburg, the second most important engineer/architect of Photoshop
Zalman Stern, who helped convert Photoshop 2.5 to Power PC code on the mac side
the famous Seetharaman Narayanan
Phil Clevenger, a former KPT UI designer (the one that came with the nice ideas, not the obscure hidden interface toys
former Pixmantec Engineers, Tang Laerke and Michael Jonsson, that also created Capture One, who will work on the engine of Lightroom, Adobe Camera Raw
And many other talented folks who came from different teams at Adobe and former Macromedia.

Lightroom, like Photoshop will also be able to evolve thanks to modules (plug-ins) and that was a key part of the success of Photoshop.

So, do look at lightroom as a work in progress, and DO give feedback in the official Adobe forums (labs.adobe.com)

sPECtre said:
p?tr??k, for the moment, the Windows build is indeed, not so optimized for speed.

None of Adobe's products is optimized for speed if you ask me. :cry:

None of Adobe's products is optimized for speed if you ask me.
Yes. I think they concentrate more on adding cool new features, but forget that the majority of us consumers don't have the latest, greatest systems/hardware to run the software. Not that I'm complaining about nice new features and beefed up software, it would just be nice if it ran a little faster. I guess there is that price to pay... :{

On a page with independent photoshop benchmarks ( http://www.driverheaven.net/photoshop/ ) , they found out that many filters are faster in each new version of Photoshop: optimizations are being added for new instructions in newer processors.
The only cases where a filter/operation slows down is when the engineers remarked that the transformation was not "clean", and they decide to make some code that might be more accurate, but slightly slower, but such a case is very rare.

Of course, if you stay with the same processor for many versions, you won't profit of the new optimizations that might be limited to SSE2 or 3, multi-threading, and in the future, 64bits coding.

In one of the NAPP vidcasts, one saw for a few seconds an engineer that works specifically on startup time. It is not because there are a lot of new functions that the whole app will take longer to load on memory. In several cases, it is the number of fonts, presets, textures, plug-ins that can slow down startup time.

I know that I may sound like an evangelist, but a lot of visits to the official Adobe Forums, and many other resources taught me those tidbits.

sPECtre said:
On a page with independent photoshop benchmarks ( http://www.driverheaven.net/photoshop/ ) , they found out that many filters are faster in each new version of Photoshop: optimizations are being added for new instructions in newer processors.

Global changes in the complete package for specific hardware features beef up the numbers and not because of individual changes in the filters. What most people don?t know is that for some of these old filters Adobe doesn't even have the source anymore (long story).
I also don?t think most Photoshop users who complain about speed or resources, complain about the speed of the filters.

sPECtre said:
Of course, if you stay with the same processor for many versions, you won't profit of the new optimizations that might be limited to SSE2 or 3, multi-threading, and in the future, 64bits coding.

Optimization should not be just a matter of making software more compatible with latest hardware. Compare for example Windows XP?s boot time with the one of Windows 2000; no hardware optimization involved, yet several times faster. People can be negative about Microsoft all they want, but in my opinion it?s one of the few who actually care about application optimization. Take for example their Office Suite. Access for example takes 1 sec to start and the interface is super fast and doesn?t have these slow windows or palettes that Photoshop CS2 has. But even larger programs like Studio .NET don?t have that bloat that we see in Photoshop.
Part of why Photoshop has become such a resource hog is because it was never intended from the start to become part of a suite. So over time Adobe added more stuff to make Photoshop fit the complete suite. Macromedia, Microsoft, Maxon, they all offer complete packages that had this ?suite? idea in mind from the beginning, Adobe however just started to ?connect? all products not long ago. This wasn?t possible with a complete rewrite, so instead more code was added?and added?and added.

Other things that make Photoshop more bloated is the addition of features that are always loaded even when the user has no plan to use them. A good example is the added animation features in CS2 that were transferred from ImageReady. But even when a user has no plans to use animation during a Photoshop session, Adobe still decided to load that complete feature and the result is bloat, not because this feature was added in a menu, no because code was loaded that should only be loaded on request.

Adobe Bridge is a good example of how bloated their products have become. 60MB for a file browser is simply ridiculous, especially when you consider that an advanced 3D program like Cinema 4D is only slightly bigger.
But also something totally different like Photoshop CS?s filter gallery has had many user complaints, most of it related to performance. However when I read about people complaining about this in Adobe?s Forums, you?ll notice again how Adobe employees are trying to brainwash people thinking that it?s all normal and acceptable behavior. The ?I admit? is not in Adobe?s dictionary if you ask me.

sPECtre said:
In one of the NAPP vidcasts, one saw for a few seconds an engineer that works specifically on startup time.

With such bloated code you automatically run into slow start time, so it?s no surprise that they need a special engineer for that. Personally I don?t complain about startup times, I think they?re reasonable considering the amount of code. However Photoshop has become a resource hog in other areas. The interface for example is pretty slow. I admit that I?m not running the latest hardware, but I don?t have any of these slow interface problems with Cinema 4D, Dreamweaver, Office, Fruity Loops, etc. I?m serious when I say that these programs even feel faster than Photoshop CS2 in an emulated environment like Vmware workstation. For me that doesn?t speak well for Photoshop?s performance.

sPECtre said:
I know that I may sound like an evangelist, but a lot of visits to the official Adobe Forums, and many other resources taught me those tidbits.

I don?t need Adobe?s Forums to understand that Bridge is the most bloated resource hog I?ve used in long time. Not only takes it a long time to load, it?s also 60MB and has a slow interface. The speed at which thumbnails are created for example remind me of a product of 1997, not one of 2006. Even my old ACDSee from the year 2000 does it much faster and that one only uses 9MB.
You tell me why I Adobe Bridge needs 60MB, because I simply have NO explanation. Sure, it has extras like camera raw, but I don?t expect Bridge to load support for this, when it is not determined whether the user who starts bridge will actually use it during that session.

If you hang out long enough at Adobe?s Forums, you actually start to believe what some of the Adobe people are trying to tell you.
Also the 20% (just guessing here) that do run the latest hardware will have no real idea what 80% is actually dealing with.

I?m not trying to be negative Pierre, I try to be a realist. I base this on personal observations of Photoshop CS2 and Bridge, comparisons in speed and memory use with other huge programs and my background as an application programmer.
It?s also not all bad when it comes to speed and in some areas Photoshop scores actually pretty well, but that doesn?t mean we should ignore all those other cases in which improvements are really needed.

Mind you, I still love Photoshop, but I'm not a fanboy to such an extend that I start to ignore the negative issues.
I can also fully understand why there are still people use Photoshop 7 even when they can afford CS/CS2.

I see your points, Maybe should we get back to the topic of this thread, the 8MB app that is called Lightroom ;)...

Maybe should we get back to the topic of this thread, the 8MB app that is called Lightroom
Ok. So tell me, how does a 8mb app run so damn slow?

When it is not optimized for speed, and has just been ported to windows XP, to allow windows users to have a first taste of the workflow, and the rendering of the images.

Speed issues are clearly mentionned in the release notes.

In typical beta releases, speed optimization usually occurs at the end of the process, as you do not want to optimize code that will/may change, get discarded/modified...

Yeah, your right. I know it's a beta, but it seems adding in all the nice UI, transitions, etc.. performance wasn't in mind.

Back