What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Load multiple files into stack works for you?

PutinHuilo

Hello, i know i posted this before however after i submit on Adobe forum i get replay that people cannot reproduce this so i am asking your help to check weather its a bug in the software of my computer settings. This feature i use every day for making panoramas so its a major annoyance for me as well as slowdown in the process.

Please verify and let me know if yo get same error.

When i go File > Scripts > Load Files into Stack and select RAW files, in my case Sony *.ARW files, it loads all files okay, however last RAW file is NOT rasterized automatically it loads as Smart Object.

Then i have to manually rasterize it because otherwise i cannot use Edit > Auto-Align Layers and Edit > Auto-Blend Layers.

Also File > Scripts > Load Files into Stack opens Load Layers window where there's option Attempt to Automatically Align Source Images which also does not work because last RAW file is loaded as Smart Object.

1.jpg

I believe this bug is related to Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) because when i set inside Edit > Preferences> Camera Raw ... > File Handling option JPEG to Automatically open all supported JPEGs and load JPG files into stack i get same bug with last file being Smart Object while rest are regular pixels.

When i set above option to Disable JPEG support, then PS loads JPG into stack without creating smart object.

PutinHuilo

Please anyone check this and confirm your results, people at adobe forum saying this bug does not happen for them, however i made clean install of Photoshop v24.4.1 on a completely new desktop PC and i am having same exact bug.

MrToM

Guru
Hi @PutinHuilo

Works OK for me but bare in mind I'm using downloaded sample images, not yours.
I would assume that anyone else testing this would do likewise, and it also works OK for them too, this suggests it could be a problem with just that one file.

What is in the Smart Object Layer if you open it? All the images? Just the last image? Nothing?

If it still does this on a fresh install, (And I assume you did delete EVERYTHING associated with 2023, inc in the registry), then it leaves only two things....the OS or the images.

The only way to properly test the images is to make those image files available so we can test with them...

...OR...

...remove the last file from the folder...or...change the name of the last file, _DSC0126.ARW, to say _DSC0110.ARW, (something before the first image), and run the script again.
If the LAST file, which would then be _DSC0123, still comes up as a Smart Object then you can rule out a problem with the file itself.

Also check that there are no scripts set to run on 'document load' in the scripts manager....unlikely if this only happens when running this script but still...

Other than that I dunno, a right mystery.

Regards.
MrToM.

PutinHuilo

Hi MrToM, thanks for answering my call for help.

Source files: https://www.upload.ee/files/15219067/SourceImages.zip.html

If it still does this on a fresh install, (And I assume you did delete EVERYTHING associated with 2023, inc in the registry), then it leaves only two things....the OS or the images.
Its clean install of Windows 10 (22H2 build 19045.2965) , no Photoshop previous settings could possibly exist.

Perhaps also could be a hardware related, both PC's have older built-in GPU so "Use Graphic Processor" is disabled under Edit > Preferences > Performance.

What is in the Smart Object Layer if you open it? All the images? Just the last image? Nothing?
Double clicking last layer (Smart Object) opens that image in Adobe Camera Raw.

Also check that there are no scripts set to run on 'document load' in the scripts manager....unlikely if this only happens when running this script but still...
You mean under File > Scripts > Scripts Event Manager? I never enabled that, did not even know such a thing existed.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Hi @PutinHuilo,

Thanks for the images but I obviously didn't make myself clear enough, sorry.

I'll need the actual images you used, the ones that you have the problem with, these ones...

1.jpg

As I said, I have no prolem with sample images downloaded, and still no problem with the samples you supplied.

I understand you may not be able to release those images so I suggested changing the order of the files by renaming them and trying again but there is no mention in your latest post of you trying this.

Remember, you can always send the images via PM if needed.

Its clean install of Windows 10...
Sorry, missed that bit.

You mean under File > Scripts > Scripts Event Manager? I never enabled that, did not even know such a thing existed.
LOL, yes, it was a long shot, don't worry about it.

I use it to run an 'Unlock Layer' script whenever I open an image.
After using PS for a while having the initial image open as a 'Background' Layer and locked gets a bit irritating...and there is no option in PS to turn that off.

Regards.
MrToM.

PutinHuilo

I'll need the actual images you used, the ones that you have the problem with, these ones...

As I said, I have no prolem with sample images downloaded, and still no problem with the samples you supplied.

I understand you may not be able to release those images so I suggested changing the order of the files by renaming them and trying again but there is no mention in your latest post of you trying this.
It don't have to be particular images from screenshot i made 9 months ago as i have no idea which ones i used, having same problem with any raw/tiff files.

I sent you this images of bird because i do have problem with them as well, i did change image name to reverse order, still same issue last layer is a smart object.

You having no issue just proves the point that must be something related to hardware, could you try disabling "Use Graphic Processor" under Edit > Preferences > Performance and try to open them?

If i remember correctly this bug behavior it happens only for files that first loaded in Adobe Camera Raw plugin, so say i load into stack JPG or TIFF file it loads without problem, but as soon as i change options in Edit > Preferences > Camera Raw > File Handling under JPEG and Tiff Handling to process any Automatically open all supported JPEG's and/or Automatically open all supported TIFF's then also loading into stack those files will create last layer as smart object.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Well I've tried everything I can think of but I still cannot replicate your problem, let alone try to solve it.

Sorry about that.

Regards.
MrToM.