What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loney Girl

Paul

Former Member
Make the shadow slightly darker by her crossed legs to make the illusion of flight disappear.

Tom Mann

Guru
I like the idea of her floating, as well. If you feel like it, why don't you do two versions - one grounded, and one illustrating her prodigious powers of self-levitation. ;-)

T

Fatboy73

Guru
to add, the shadow is a bit too blown out. Also, if the light is coming from behind and above the girl, she world have some more intense rim lighting on those areas being hit and her front would be more in shadow. :)

Tom Mann

Guru
Now, do a couple more intermediate ones, put them into a gif and we can watch her launch. LOL!

Seriously, tho, I love the glow around the 2nd one, but IMHO, the shadowing around the girl in the 1st are not quite convincing.

Cheers,

T

ibclare

Queen Bee
Nice composition.

IMHO:
Still some problems with the shadow. First, I think it is a bit long/extended out. Just transform and flatten it a bit. But that may be a wrong perception on my part. I think the light is still enough from above that the girl wouldn't throw that long a shadow. Mainly though, there should be gradation of the shadow, especially given the overall darkness of the space. There needs to be a deep shadow, black, indigo, whatever shade you choose, and it should be directly below her body where it touches the ground so you can see it peeking out some. Then it gradually darkens as it stretches out into the light. I use a medium soft brush and soften it as I bring the shadow out, then blur it slightly. I may change the blend mode to hard light and consider adjusting opacity, whatever blend mode I use. The blur however helps to overcome any stairstep effect of brushing differing opacities.

PS - I've used her before. Interesting model.

egosbar

Guru
just noticed that between her arm it is showing the backround of the previous image , still looks floaty , its a nice piece id like to see her grounded

ibclare

Queen Bee
I personally think the shadow should be a bit longer, but it wouldn't be behind the girl at all. The light seems to be coming from mostly overhead but slightly behind. If the floor had a gradient showing darkening towards the FG that would define the light source a bit better, presuming that is, that it is behind her a bit.

An abstract, surreal touch might be to have it bleed into the drain. That would require moving the model forward a bit. I think that would make an interesting statement.