What's new

Looking for a fast external SSD for Mac pro 6.1 (late 2013)

RallisArt

Hello PS Gurus,

I’m a digital artist and I use PS on a Mac Pro 6.1. These are the current specs:

3.5 Ghz 6-core Xeon E5

64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

AMD FirePro D300

500 GB SSD

All this time I’ve been using my internal disk as a boot disk, for file storage and as a scratch disk. Not wise, I know! My work has become more demanding lately, working with 10GB PSB images, often dealing with more than 200 layers. I’ve already ordered a 1TB internal SSD to keep my files and I’m looking for a fast (~1200mb/sec r/w) external drive to use it as a scratch disk. So, I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a fast enough external drive out there that I could use with my MP 6..1?
  2. What do you guys use as scratch disk?

Thank you in advance!

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi RallisArt
I am not an expert on the high speed external drive options yet I suggest you give OWC a call as I have found their advice and offerings to be quite good. You did not mention the size external SSD you desire and if you are going to use USB gen 1 3.0 ports or the Thunderbolt 2 ports on your machine yet they have options that cover both.
Here is the link to their website and also contact information: https://eshop.macsales.com/
Hope that helps
John Wheeler