What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a fast external SSD for Mac pro 6.1 (late 2013)

RallisArt

Hello PS Gurus,

I’m a digital artist and I use PS on a Mac Pro 6.1. These are the current specs:

3.5 Ghz 6-core Xeon E5

64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

AMD FirePro D300

500 GB SSD

All this time I’ve been using my internal disk as a boot disk, for file storage and as a scratch disk. Not wise, I know! My work has become more demanding lately, working with 10GB PSB images, often dealing with more than 200 layers. I’ve already ordered a 1TB internal SSD to keep my files and I’m looking for a fast (~1200mb/sec r/w) external drive to use it as a scratch disk. So, I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a fast enough external drive out there that I could use with my MP 6..1?
  2. What do you guys use as scratch disk?

Thank you in advance!

Hi RallisArt
I am not an expert on the high speed external drive options yet I suggest you give OWC a call as I have found their advice and offerings to be quite good. You did not mention the size external SSD you desire and if you are going to use USB gen 1 3.0 ports or the Thunderbolt 2 ports on your machine yet they have options that cover both.
Here is the link to their website and also contact information: https://eshop.macsales.com/
Hope that helps
John Wheeler

Back