What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for Intern Job what skills do I need?

A Squarecan

Hey Mark I dont know where I should post it, so please move it if I posted it incorrectly.

I am looking into getting an intern job with a local graphic effects company. I am curious how much about photoshop would I need to know? I realize an intern position is to learn the trade, but I know you need to have some skill, my question is how much is enough. Any ideas?

Thanks
Keith

Hi Keith,

I actually have no idea but if you have some organization already in mind, could you call and ask them directly? I'd bet that there is no standardized answer to your inquiry for, as you say, an intern is generally an apprentice. There's no doubt that the more you know the better.

Good Luck with your search!

Thanks Wells,

I have not narrowed it down to one company yet. Slowly going through the few in town researching and seeing the kind of stuff they do and history.

Keith

Hi guys :)

PS is an asset Keith in an effects environment,but generally they look for motion graphics/animation or fine arts type skills.Theres no reason you could not learn After effects or Combustion or even Shake on the job though.

Do you have any 3D skills?

Do you want to work in a motion graphics type studio or more of a design studio which does more of the ads in magazines and stills that sort of thing?

Stu.

Maybe research on Google for intern + graphic design and see where that takes you. The more info you have the better off you will be. Some companies assume that if the person really wants to be in this type of work they have spent a lot of time learning the tools of the trade, using their spare time to get an edge. Don't be shocked if you walk in to a company and they assume you have some skills under your belt.

I would do the search above for your area first then branch out, especially if the company you are looking at is a large firm, nation wide or world wide.

Some questions to ask yourself and research:

What software do I need knowledge of and how much "hands on" experience is needed with the software?

Do I need some type of portfolio either on a website or better yet a CD that you can mail or take with you.

If I choose company A then will I only need to know the graphics side of things or will they expect me to know how to slice and place in webpages?

If you are looking at company a, b, and c then research all of them, lists the good things the bad things about each one. How long have they been in business, how are they funded, what type of clients do they service?

Just some food for thought..... Good luck!!

I would also suggest just calling and being up front with the companies locally. Just tell them you're starting out and what level of experience would they need for an intern or starting position.

Barring that, I would call some local colleges or community colleges. They usually work closely with the local businesses to place interns out of their degree programs, so they should have a good idea of what the local companies are looking for.

I've always had good luck just approaching them companies and talking to them. It shows initiative. If they aren't receptive, you probably don't want to work there. :)

So true MB! Lots of time the Intern has all kinds of duties and not all of them deal with their field of choice. The thing to do is get your foot in the door and show them what you have to offer! Take on extra projects, offer to help and learn and you will go far!!

WOW, Thanks for all the advice [excited]

To try and answer some questions asked.

Do you have any 3D skills?

No I dont, I have never really played with any programs other then Photoshop and Terragen. So 3D skills are lacking on my behalf.

Do you want to work in a motion graphics type studio or more of a design studio which does more of the ads in magazines and stills that sort of thing?

I would like to start out with magazine and still type stuff, because that is what I know most. I would really like to learn all the other stuff, but one step at a time.

Do I need some type of portfolio either on a website or better yet a CD that you can mail or take with you

Either way if I am required to or not I am going to make one with a few pieces of work. I figure if I have one with out them asking for one it makes it look that much more that I like what I am doing and it gives them a taste of what I can do.

If you are looking at company a, b, and c then research all of them, lists the good things the bad things about each one. How long have they been in business, how are they funded, what type of clients do they service?

I have already started checking a few places out on-line. Still have a few to go.

Barring that, I would call some local colleges or community colleges. They usually work closely with the local businesses to place interns out of their degree programs, so they should have a good idea of what the local companies are looking for.

I am actually attending school at a CC now. I am going for business, but when I asked my business teacher about it. He recommended me to go see my old business teacher, and our scheduals have not really fallin' in line quite yet. One of the main reasons I asked here is because I may not post much here but I am always surfing the board and know the talent level here and I know most of you know a lot about what you do and some of you may even own your own graphics company so you would know more what to look for then my business teacher.

I think I answered most of the questions. I will definatelly take ll your opinions and thoughts in to great consideration. I planned on going down there after I got some work together. I just wanted to know what to expect, because I wouldnt want to be totally mistaken going down there. I will probally call after I narrow it down to a few companies and then I will start making some phone calls.

Thanks again to everyone that replied with input, it is greatly apprieciated.
Keith

Back