What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lost images???

Lee

Guru
Until I installed Aperture everything worked fine. I would alter an image, use Save As, specify the folder where it was to be saved and then select the type of image (jpeg, png etc). The image was always in the folder I specified. Now when I do the same thing I can't find the image. I use the Finder and it says the image in question is in the folder where I save it but it's not there.

Is there a PS setting that might have been altered when I did the install. That said, maybe the Aperture install had nothing to do with this and it's just a coincidence. Either way all my 'Save As' images are disappearing. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Part 2: Another anomality is that I used to be able to move images from the desktop to a folder. Now when I do that I am just moving a copy of the image and the original stays on the desktop. I did not change anything so how and where do I make the change to actually move the original, not just a copy?

Thanks in advance,

Lee

Hi Lee,

Regarding the copy/move option, for Windows-based systems I've seen this happen (according to the link below, it's also a Mac issue?). You can refer to the following link for a remedy: http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article01-008, or in short:

• To copy a file under any situation, hold the Ctrl key while dragging.
  • To move a file under any situation, hold the Shift key while dragging.

As for the missing files, may be a virus or a Windows Explorer (if it is Windows you're working on) setting that went screwy. Maybe just open Explorer and go to Tools --> Folder options. Check the view settings for files and such.

Silly me. Yeah, it's a Mac, Lasa. Forgot to mention that, didn't I? . ;\

The missing image thing seems to have corrected itself. I have no clue how or why. Last night they disappeared and this afternoon they go to the folder I specify.

Doodad,

Thanks for the reply. I know about the shift and ctrl keys. Used them many times. On my Mac, however, I have always just been able to drag and drop images or files to their new location without using the shift key. They only time I used the shift key was to copy. Now, however, dragging a file to the new location just makes a copy without using the shift key. I'd like to get back to the way it was.

Anyone else got some suggestions???

I have G5 with Tiger. I get files all day long via FTP I always drag and drop into a Pitstop Server folder. No problem. After the server finishes with them they're moved to a job folder (c/p directly to the folder or c/p to the desktop then the folder. Never any issues. an't imagine whats up with your problem, I just know that somethings drastically wrong. I'll check with a friend of mine. He's a Mac Techy.

Ron,
It all seemed to start after I installed Aperture. I'm not saying that changed anything and it could just be a coincidence but........

could there be something in the Aperture preferences that determines alocation of files? I'm not familiar with the app myself, isn't it something simular to the Bridge?

Yeah, Aperture is Apples version of? the Bridge, Ron. Aperture in no way replaces, or was meant to replace, Photoshop. Both programs have their advantages and disadvantages. Jury is still out for me which one I like the best. Right now it's the Bridge but that is probably because I have been using it for 6/7 months and am used to it. We all tend to like what we are familure with (at least I do).? ;)

As far as prefs., there are many in Aperture but I have only had it about four days now and have not changed anything yet. If it was Aperture that made that change to OS X it was not me. And again, that could just have been a coincidence that it happened after the install. I have looked around for a preference that would change that option back and could not find anything. That's when I posted here hoping someone with more experience might know.

Lee,

Doesn't Aperture make a database of the images you save or include in it? Are those the images you have lost?

I would try runing a search for one of your missing images. Highlight the thumbnail and you will see the path at the bottom of the Find window. Double click on the folder in that path and the folder containing the image will open up.

When you eliminated Aperture did you just trash the Application folder? Are there extra hidden files/folders in your User Library? I would run a search for 'aperture' and see what comes up. (Command F) You should probably just move any item to the trash which comes up in the search, but not trash 'em until you know that they aren't messing with your system. For sure there will be a preferences file (probably named com.apple.aperture.plist or similar) which should be trashed.

About the copy issues, it's possible that Aperture modified the keyboard shortcuts system wide, I suppose, but it isn't likely. Does moving any file, say from the desktop to a folder on your hard drive only do a copy?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the missing image problem corrected itself, Welles

Per your question on the moving issue. Yes, no matter what I move just using drag and drop (no shift key etc) it makes a copy of the item (file or image) to the new location leaving the original on the desktop.

It's holding down the option key which makes duplicated during the drag and drop process, is your option key stuck maybe? I'd try unplugging my keyboard and plugging it back in. I'd check the input menu (in the International control panel) and makes sure that the Keyboard layout is set to US.

Lee,

Here's a list of the way drag and drop options are supposed to work...

Drag to a new location within the same volume: move
Option-Drag to a new location within the same volume: copy
Command-Option-Drag to a new location within the same volume: create alias
Drag to a new location within a different volume: copy
Command-Drag to a new location within a different volume: move
Command-Option-Drag to a new location within a different volume: create alias

It occurred to me that these functions are part of the Finder, an application although it runs almost all the time. As such it has a Preferences file which might have gotten corrupted by Aperture. Try trashing that preferences file. It is found in your User > Library > Preferences > com.apple.finder.plist. Then either log out and back in, restart, or force quit the Finder and relaunch it.

Hey Welles,
Thanks for the suggestions. I did both. Neither worked. Got any other ideas? I hate to call Apple Care and sit on hold for three days but I'm just about out of things to try. :cry:

UPDATE: I could not find any answers online on any forum the other day so finally just called Apple Care. The first person I talked to did not know either so he passed me onto a senior tech guy. He walked me through a bunch of possibilities and it turns out it was a corrupted pref. in the Preferences folder. Once that was deleted everything went back to normal. I was lucky, though, as it was the Bridge preference. That makes sense but the rub is that the Apple guy said it could have been ANY of them and there are about 50 in that file. Finding the right one would have been a time consuming nightmare of trial and error.

For whatever it's worth the Apple Care guys were unbelievably patient in trying to find the problem and get it fixed. Says a lot about the support at Apple.

I had hunch it would turn out to be a preferences thing. Glad you sorted it out.

Back