What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magic Wand Tool

Graemey

Hello All,
When using the magic wand tool, I used to be able to select and area then hold the shift key & select other areas also, I can't seem to do this now, have I got something selected that I don't know about, thank you
Graeme

Hi, just check with mode your magic wand is in but the boxes marked below. which are click able to change selection method.
1 is basic selections
2 is adding extra selections is orders areas or overlapping
3 makes the next area you select, as a cut out of you main selection,
4 is to only keep the overlapping selection area and not teetotal selected area.

when you have selected an area, you should be able to then click on the boxes or use keyboard to change the way the wand works.
Shift key will add extra areas, and Option (Mac, don't know windows) will remove new selections from the already selected areas. (I use this all the time as often my first selections encompasses many things that I later trim off using this. also by right mouse you can change the magic wand to quick selection tool even while you have one or more areas already selected. you can see its different selection methods in the bottom shot, and those methods are clickable as well.

magic want is best for area selection, irrespective of color and shapes or density (high tone to shadows) where arse quick selection I find best for finding particular colors.

when using the magic wand you are given the option of selection all colours or shades all over the image, or select the Contiguious button to hav such areas constrained with in density or color ranges and will be constrained by shapes.

I often used the quick selection tool, to select an area, then change to the magic wand but right Mose click, and then hold the option key to de-select some colours or areas.

note the quick selection tool is sensitive to brush size, and that the magic wand is sensitive to how many pixels you sampling is. more pixels me greater colour range, less will narrow down the color range selection. never used object selection yet, as I am new to Photoshop 2022, only use CS6 till the recent flood. any members with trick on this are welcome to add info.

Regards, Sandy

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 19.44.11pm.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 20.04.31pm.jpg

Last edited:
Hello All,
When using the magic wand tool, I used to be able to select and area then hold the shift key & select other areas also, I can't seem to do this now, have I got something selected that I don't know about, thank you
Graeme
Holding shift should add to selection and holding alt (option on Mac) should remove from selection.
Try resetting the tool and see if that works...

Click on the downward arrow next to the tool and a dialog will pop up.
Click on the small gear icon at the top right and another dialog will open.
Then choose Reset Tool.

1650543717832.png

1650544413860.png

1650544151865.png

Back