What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Make an image look more realistic.

louiek88

Hi, I have this image I put together. A stock photo and the WordPress logo. How can I get the logo to "blend" in? Right now I think it stands out too much. Also I used the Lasso tool, to cut away all the parts to get it to look like it is sitting behind the lock and chains, but is there a better/faster way to get the same effect? Using the Lasso tool is tedious.

fthnf.png

View attachment main.psd

You need to start using the pen tool for your selections, as it will be a smoother line. What about a shadow from the chain as well.

here is what you get if you add shadow to chain.
i also added shadow around the logo and softened the edges of the logo
ppwjrqus-hide.jpg

I might be incorrect.. but the contrast on the Logo is a little hight as compared to the surrounding. Lowering the contrast might comouflage the logo with Laptop

here is what you get if you add shadow to chain.
i also added shadow around the logo and softened the edges of the logo
View attachment 20287

Why would you add a shadow around the sticker? I dont think it would cast a shadow and if it did it would have to be a VERY small one. The shadow on the chain looks alright. I think the only think left to do would be lower the contrast or opacity of the sticker

Duplicate the logo, add inner shadow at the same angle as all the other shadows, merge this with a blank layer, then just delete the outside where there is shadow. It should leave just the shadow round the chain like this.
View attachment 20293

You can notice that the computer is a little dusty, add some dust to the logo as well, dont abuse it btw.

Also I used the Lasso tool, to cut away all the parts to get it to look like it is sitting behind the lock and chains, but is there a better/faster way to get the same effect? Using the Lasso tool is tedious.

For intricate selections such as the chain, the pen tool will be your most accurate and clean, as sprucemagoo says. And you don't have to shift+select etc. You are starting a path and can keep adding sections to it. It takes some practice but it is worth it. It is a bit tedious too but easier really and so worth it. The work -- if you have a complex image such as this chain anyway -- is only justified, in my thinking, if you are working with a high resolution image.

Another way, not so exacting a method, is to select the chain with the quick select tool. You will need to zoom in very close to check your edges once you've done the initial selection and bring the marching ants as close to the borders as possible. You should do that with all methods, pen tool included (in that case though, you will move anchor points and adjust handles).

Next go to select>refine edge and makes adjustments there. Be careful about smooth edge and feather; they can blur an edge you want crisp like the chain. Mainly you want to contract the selection with a "minus" number. Start very small. You can also just go to select>modify>contract if you don't use any of the other adjustments. Experiment.

Nothing you do in Photoshop is worth doing if you're in a hurry, but you can learn methods that will save you time and energy, and give you better results.

Enjoy.

Brilliant. Thank you. Gives it so much more substance. The contrast really helps as well.

@TOTO - Great suggestion! Ty

@ibclare - Marching ants! Lol. I love it. The pen is much better than the lasso. Started to get aggravated with the little thing ;) Thank you for your tips. I will be brushing up on these skills this morning.

Last edited:
Lighting, lighting , lighting and if you forget... lighting. It's the most essential part next to color saturation for making a composite believable. The main problem with the logo blending, besides the shadow which was addressed already, is that light is bouncing and reflecting off of and affecting every part of your image except the logo. It's still flat solid colors which makes it look fake.
A simple, low opacity, light yellow, radial gradient, on screen mode, will take care of that for you. :)

Why would you add a shadow around the sticker? I dont think it would cast a shadow and if it did it would have to be a VERY small one. The shadow on the chain looks alright. I think the only think left to do would be lower the contrast or opacity of the sticker
i didnt really add shadow it was more to blend the logo into the laptop

Lighting, lighting , lighting and if you forget... lighting. It's the most essential part next to color saturation for making a composite believable. The main problem with the logo blending, besides the shadow which was addressed already, is that light is bouncing and reflecting off of and affecting every part of your image except the logo. It's still flat solid colors which makes it look fake.
A simple, low opacity, light yellow, radial gradient, on screen mode, will take care of that for you. :)

++ some good advice here!

Back