What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Make this picture color + better

Hi would someone please make this picture color + clear ? I'll try by myself too but I wanna see the diffrence to learn more. Thanx as I'm a newbie is ps :)

stanislav

Hi there,

I'm not an expert either, but i think the problems is that the whites in this picture are overexposed that gives it a lack of contrast thus detail.
So i gave it a quick try anyway, but i think when coloring it too much it will look unnatural.

But i'm sure the real gurus can make a better effort

Good Effort stani I like the how you did that coloring.

What a beautiful woman. I'm afraid to try because I know I couldn't do her beauty justice.

Joy Foraker said:
Good Effort stani I like the how you did that coloring.

What a beautiful woman. I'm afraid to try because I know I couldn't do her beauty justice.

Hey if it was joke then wasn't good, and if it was praise then thanx .

It was Praise, I'd never joke about someone's mother. She is truly beautiful.

stanislav

Thank you Joy,

But it was real quick done...and i don't think it is that good.

Code:
I'm afraid to try because I know I couldn't do her beauty justice.
Joy i saw some work from you and i.m sure you won't mess up.
I believe that challenges like these are a really a good opportunity to improve ones PS skills. Myself for instance: i joined this board about 6 weeks ago and i amazed myself what i learned in that time thanks to this board and its people. But i see myself still as a noob and that makes me still eager to learn more.

And i agree with you the woman in the picture looks almost like a saint

Stroker

Power User
A large part of the problem is being too "uniform" with the colour. There needs to be subtle changes in the colour.

For example, cheeks will usually have slightly higher saturation while the area around the eyes will be a bit lower in saturation. The forehead will tend more towards orange while the hairline will tend more towards red. For an area like a shiny forehead, the lum will be higher and the saturation will be lower.

Sometimes you have to be really careful with the minor shifts in colour. A touch of orange can sometimes look yellow/green. Fascinating phenom.

Attached is real quick-n-sloppy painting of hue and saturation.
Drop it over your photo and set to Colour blending mode.
I did crop, so you'll have to move it into place.
Not the greatest example, but should show what I'm talking about.

I did this using hue and saturation, but the same idea applies for ab in Lab.

edit:
Crap.
I just noticed something.
BBL.

Stroker

Power User
Ah! Going nuts!

Take what you've done so far.
Copy the original and order it to the top of the Layers palette.
Set the blending mode to Luminosity.
You should see a marked difference.

There is kind of a 'order of operations' going on.
Luminosity will act as a 'clamp', so to speak.
This is why I always work with Luminosity at the top.

Gotta go.

edit:
Man, talking to 2 different people here.
What a mess.
I'm going for a walk.

stanislav

Hi,

Stroker thanks for your explanation !!
The result looks so much better :perfect:
There is so much more i can learn about those blending options

I know practise, practise practise....

Stroker

Power User
In the quick paint job that I did, the forehead looks sickly yellow/green to me. However, the hue for that part is around 20 degrees, which is actually orange/red.

Humans perceive things one way, and a computer "sees" the data another way. It can be really frustrating at times.

As far as blending modes go, I've seen some truly weird things when dealing with Luminosity, Hue, Sat, and Colour. Some combinations in various orders work and some don't. I've even seen some 'quantum artifacts' in a few cases. I don't explicitly know or understand the rules, so I avoid the whole thing by always having Lum at the top. If you mess with different blending modes in different orders, it shouldn't take much for you to find your flow.

Back under my rock with me.

kiwi

Guru
Heres a quick try from me,still needs quite a bit of work :)

Stroker and I aint getting under youre rock :D

Welles

Guru
Yet another treatment... I wanted more drama and focus on the piercing gaze. This could be some great guru.

stanislav

Hi ,

Nice work all !
But i think we all might be wrong bout the hue of the face because she is an indian woman i guess

Hee stroker thanks for the feedback

Back under my rock with me

Never heard the expression but thanks i had a sleepless night for wondering what it might mean \:]

Hi sorry 4 coming after a long time, co'z i didn't recieve any email saying you got a reply , anyway first of all thanks to all of you by helping me within this and she's not an indian woman :( She's a Pakistani woman :)
And hey kiwi cool shot :perfect:

kiwi

Guru
Thanx :).....feel free to work from it if you want to..

I didnt ty to add to much color because I didnt know the tonal range to work with,and I didnt want to make her look to dark etc.

Maybe if you used a photo of youre mother you could work out the toning more easily.Or if it was acceptable you could also post a pic of youre mom to give us a better idea to work from.

I agree with Joy about youre great grandmother looking beautiful.She has one of those faces which tell a story just by looking at her.My first thought was of an image you might see in an national geographic magazine.

kiwi I can't thanx 4 that. I have no words 4 it. anyway would u like to share how did u do that ? in depth? I'll be really thankful to you and it will also help many noobs like me to learn kool coloring techniques. + I will also post pic of my mom as soon I get home. Thanx

kiwi

Guru
Hi...srry have been out of the loop for a while :)

Um a tute,I am horrid at tutes,I am also quite busy at the moment,but I will see what I can do.

Stu.

kiwi

Guru
Ah cool :)

Folllowing what I thought are now the right tones etc,heres what I came up with.The hair still needs a lot of work though.