What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

making background translucent

Stu_C

Hi all
I have recently got my first MAC with photoshop CS6, I am trying to create a logo to put in a corner of a video but the picture needs a dark background but be translucent but keeps saving to a solid colour, below is a video of what I am doing but nothing seems to work when I save it in original format in GIF, I normally use CS5 on a PC without any issues but not sure if its something I am doing wrong, link to my video below :(

https://drive.google.com/open?id=143NMvqALbinQ6WZzg3QBej749R0mhv_k

You have to save it as a PNG in order to preserve the transparency.

That's what I have been doing and then change the file to GIF just thought I was doing something wrong :(

Turn off your background layers if you want the fianl file to have a transparent BG.........your leaving one on and just lowering the opacity of the other.

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 1.43.45 PM.png

That's what I have been doing and then change the file to GIF just thought I was doing something wrong

There is no need to save this as a GIF file unless it's animated.

Your saving for the web. Just hit SAVE and then choose PNG.

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 1.41.49 PM.png

The program I am using that I have to use for the video logging doesn't accept PNG files only JPEG or Gif

Then try again the way you were doing only this time turn off the back ground layers.

Capture1.PNG

Check the "Transparency" box and set it to "Pattern Transparency". That's how I managed to set it to a transparent background. If you want it to be more / less translucent, adjust the opacity of the background layer accordingly. Play around with the layer opacity and the brightness of your color till you find what you want.

Back