What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making screenshots (Mac only)

AppleCider

Power User
Heh. I couldn't let Gauss's Windows only screenshot tip go by without offering some for the Mac too :)

In OS 9 & X, Cmd-Shift-3 takes a picture of your entire screen.

In OS 9 & X, Cmd-Shift-4 gives you a curser that's a little +. Drag diagonally to select an area; when you release the mouse, you get that satisfying little shutter sound; it's take a picture of your selected area.

In OS 9 (only): Cmd-Shift-4-CapsLock gives you a bullseye curser that will take a picture of one window or dialog box. Just aim the curser at the window and release the mouse.

OS 9: Add the Cntrl key to any one of the above and the image is copied onto your clipboard.

Unfortunately, in OS X the ability to capture a specific window is gone. But X adds a little app called "Grab," which adds some functionality, like being able to time a capture. In other words, you can set up your shot before you capture the image (Cmd-Shift-Z).

Personally, though, I highly recommend
SnapZ Pro if you do a lot of screenshots. It's a beautiful little utility that lets you do just about anything you want with a screenshot, easily and quickly.

Great to have a member who can explain how it works on the Mac.
Thank you Julie :perfect:

Julie for mod! We are a bit off balanced and an extra mac-mod would be great!
C'mon, ye mac users: let yourself be known. Simply write "I use mac", evt with specs, as an answer to this thread. Show that we need an extra mac mod!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Mac users, unite! Seriously, I think there are a lot of Mac people who visit this forum; after all, the Mac is traditionally the "graphics platform." I remember the days when Photoshop was Mac only! (Honestly, I'm glad that's changed; it's too good an app to be limited to one platform).

Well, actually, I'm old enough to remember that Word and Excel were developed for the Mac :)

Me too, I'm serious, Julie. Creativity has two "legs", and one of those is all too often neglected. I talk about the leg of knowing your craft. Like they sometimes say: know the rules before you break them.
Personally, as you know, I don't care whether it's mac or pc. Neither gives a better quality of images, neither can add one single colour to a colour space. But the function of a mod is to try to kindle the enthusiasm, to give "wood" to keep the fire going (like Gaussian's endless series of web-adresses), and also to try and help them. And there, when it comes to mac, I fall short. I can work with a mac, but that's all. So therefore I really want you as a mod. Because I'm impressed by your to-the-point knowledge of Photoshop. :perfect:

Erik, I'd be honored, as I'm honored now to share what knowledge I have (as well as learn...I've learned countless things on this board!). Like you, I use both platforms...I even have a PC networked to 2 Macs. But I do prefer the Mac, and honestly have a lot more knowledge about it. I used to be a "Community Leader" on AOL in the Mac Help forum; in the chats, I loved it when someone came in and said "Help! I lost my Photoshop!" (Yes, someone did toss the app itself and tried to launch it with an alias! :D Took awhile to figure that out since of course I couldn't see his screen.)

To me, it's not a religion, not a conviction. And I'm always happy when someone likes and defends her/his tools. People often take their tools too much for granted nowadays... (I still prepare my own panels and egg-tempera paint, just like in the 15th century...)

thanks

I added your shortcuts to my Mac machine using Stickies..that I keep up in the corner to help me! *S

I have a Mac and PC...switching back and forth can be vexing now and then.

I have a question... I just got two monitors on my desk (I'm using one to view the document and the other to view the palettes) with the Wacom 9x12 tablet. Now..however..the tablet "spills" over onto the 2nd monitor and "splits" the wacom in two to accomodate both monitors. Anyone know how to get the Wacom to see only the one monitor when making a document?

Tanya

Snapz Pro 2

Thanks for the tip! I downloaded the Snapz Pro 2 as I have OS 9.2.2. I LIKE it! For $40 US$..it's a deal.

Tanya

Back