What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making Vintage Magazine Cover

DBV

I'm currently trying to make a vintage cover for magazine from the past and wonder maybe anyone have insights on what kind of details I could add here:

OldMagMustang.jpg

Small headlines is an option but I'd prefer to keep design minimalistic and simple. I'm probably missing some small details, objects etc.. Can't seem to come up with something tho.. :)

Adrijus, are you designing this as a project for yourself or for a commercial venture?

If it's a magazine cover, it needs to have specific information that will affect the design. Can't really critique or advise without that information. :mrgreen:

It's project for myself that has to look like it is made for commercial venue lol

That's what I thought but wanted to check. Well, remember it has to have all those boring things, volume, date, price, etc. One of our "challenges" was to do magazine covers. I can't say they all looked like commercial successes, but we had fun envisioning them. If I have time, I'll send you the link and give you my thoughts on your effort. Hopefully you'll get plenty of feedback. Right now I have to rush off, Busy Bee!

That's what I thought but wanted to check. Well, remember it has to have all those boring things, volume, date, price, etc. One of our "challenges" was to do magazine covers. I can't say they all looked like commercial successes, but we had fun envisioning them. If I have time, I'll send you the link and give you my thoughts on your effort. Hopefully you'll get plenty of feedback. Right now I have to rush off, Busy Bee!

Sounds great! Would be awesome to see it.

We didn't have winners in all of them. We called them challenges, but some were agreed upon and then we had winners for our auto challenges. Paul started the challenges.

We should have at least Bragging Rights about winning a contest (there must always be one..) and be allowed to use it as a signature on this forum stating that you one this or that contest! That would be cool and would be very useful in terms of skill improvement.

I started one, hopefully more people join it. I progresses fastest when I was part of forum about making Basketball wallpapers and signatures. Those contest were fun!!!

Yep, I enjoyed them immensely. We had about 24 of them, then the auto challenges, maybe 6? We used a public poll to determine the auto challenge winner of course.

I made a PSG medal that I was adapting for individual winners. We could start a gallery thread; each time the winner's medal goes on display.

Something needs to be done here, maybe that was one of the reasons members dropped off or just gave up taking part in the challenges?
We went over all this at the time, and nothing materialised then either.
I must have missed that challenge Clare, i was moving house at the time and we had no net for a while as Vafann stated, another member i miss immensely.

I remember you were moving. Hoogle mentioned that you weren't available so he started it to keep the momentum. I miss Vafann too. She has not been real well so she'll pop in from time to time, but doesn't stay. She was taking a photography class not too long ago. I wonder how that went.

Anyway, a few of us have tried to restart the challenges. Maybe it's time as I see that AdrijusG's muscle car challenge has created some interest. You need to add a poll to it so we can vote a winner and I can award the PSG Challenge winner.

Yep, I enjoyed them immensely. We had about 24 of them, then the auto challenges, maybe 6? We used a public poll to determine the auto challenge winner of course.

I made a PSG medal that I was adapting for individual winners. We could start a gallery thread; each time the winner's medal goes on display.

We should absolutely do it! It will help grow this forum too in addition to being lots of fun!

Something needs to be done here, maybe that was one of the reasons members dropped off or just gave up taking part in the challenges?
We went over all this at the time, and nothing materialised then either.
I must have missed that challenge Clare, i was moving house at the time and we had no net for a while as Vafann stated, another member i miss immensely.

People need appreciation and Bragging Rights! Yes, we are all vain! lol No prizes are ok, not a deadly sin.

It would be great to have forum owners/admins support and encouragement for contest. We can discuss this more somewhere else and have more suggestions for it. Promotion on tutorial/graphic design websites can even be done for free for this thing(and forum growth)..

Back