What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Many Concentric Circles

martingifford

Hi,
I am creating my book cover. I want to make an image with maybe 100 circles of different colours. Is there a fast way to do this, or do I have to laboriously do one at a time? I had downloaded these concentric circles, but I can't find the copyright notice, so need to recreate something like it (but brighter). Do you think these circles were created in Photoshop?:
My final cover GIMP ebook July 2019.jpg
TIA,
Martin.

Create new layer. Open Layer style. In Blending options uncheck Transparency Shapes Layer. Add Gradient Style, Radial. In Gradient editor choose Noise type. Tweak Roughness and other parameters to get the look you want.

This would be much easier in Ai. I found this image on the net which was made with Ai, but I could not find a tutorial.
biwl9.jpg

It's not quite the same, but I made this with Ps using the Rectangular Marquis Tool, Free Transform, and Polar Coordinates. It's not that difficult. The hard part was selecting and creating the colors and lines. If this interests you, let me know and I will post a tutorial on how I did it.
Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 9.58.58 AM.png

Thanks for the tips. This is what i have so far. When I cropped it, the left side became dark, probably from a lighting effect getting squeezed by the crop. Also, I'd like the glow in the middle (lens flare) to be have a slight orange tone - there was no option for that. Of course, the whole thing is looking gaudy, but not a bad effort for my first day after not using it for 18 years:
photoshop v3 snip.JPG

This is a version that I am thinking of going with. What do you think? I know it looks gaudy from one perspective, but it could grab attention, in which case taste might not matter. Any suggestions for improvement?

book cover night sky brighter circles transparent v2.jpg

Different approach but it's a quick one and in PS only.
1. Create new document (dimensions you like)
2. Add gradient adjustment layer (not gradient map ;) )
Zrzut ekranu 2019-10-04 o 14.06.31.png
3. Edit gradient
Zrzut ekranu 2019-10-04 o 14.06.48.png
4. Change Gradient Type to noise and set Roughness to 100%
Zrzut ekranu 2019-10-04 o 14.07.07.png
5. Change Style to Radial
Zrzut ekranu 2019-10-04 o 14.07.14.png
Zrzut ekranu 2019-10-04 o 14.07.17.png

Hope that helps :)

Zrzut ekranu 2019-10-04 o 14.06.55.png

And you can randomize it to your liking ;) by clicking "Randomize" in gradient editor :)

Thanks. One thing I found with mine is that you can fix the blurry bits - the four blurry areas that divide the circles into quarters. But I can't remember what did it. I think it was Blur Spin or something like that, but I've tried since and it's not working. Anyone have any clues?

I don't know how your file looks so it's hard to tell, but try merging your layer on which you have the circles with new empty layer (select both and press cmd/ctrl+e) and then try spin blur.

Thanks. Found the answer. Simply:

Filter > Blur > Radial Blur > Convert to Smart Object > increase to 100 (or whatever number you like).

It seems you need to go through Layer > Layer Style, otherwise you get an unwanted background. So this is the only way it works for me based on SCTRWD’s suggestions:
1. Draw a circle with the Ellipse Tool (hold shift to make it a perfect circle).
2. Under the Properties pop up box > Shape Details > set shape stroke width to 0 pt, and set Shape fill type to all black.
3. With Move tool selected, click on the circle, then Layer > Layer Style > Blending Options > uncheck Transparency Shapes Layer.
4. Layer > Layer Style > Gradient Overlay > Style > Radial (notice that the background stays unchanged).
5. In the same dialogue box > click on Gradient > click a preset > Gradient Type > Noise > Roughness > 100% > Click Randomise until you find one you like, or adjust the RGB sliders.
6. Filter > Blur > Radial Blur > Convert to Smart Object > Spin > Amount > 1 (this removes the quadrants without making it too blurry, but if you like it more blurry/softer, then increase the amount.

Back