What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masks

Alexandria

How do I make a mask like this? Is it with brushes of some sort or a technique with "frayed fabric"
mask.PNG
Help highly appreciated :)

Alexandria

Thank you but I have been looking the last 2 days at those links and many many more. Saw nothing that comes close to this. Thought it might be a kind of sponge brush .. but also not

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Where did you get your "sample" image from? These do not look like fabric to me. Just ordinary grunge brushes.

Rich54

Guru
I was able to make this without much trouble. The top two are your samples and the bottom two are the ones I made. They're not precisely the same as yours, but if they are good enough for your purposes I can show you what I did.

mask.jpg

Rich54

Guru
Here are the steps:
  • Create a new PSD file with a white background.
  • Temporarily, create a new layer and fill with any color (I'm using gray). We'll be painting with white so we need a temporary background to see what we're doing.
  • Create a new layer and paint a roughly square white area using a large, soft brush. Like this:
Step1.jpg

• Add a lot of Noise to the white square. I used 250% and selected Gaussian noise.
  • Apply a motion blur to the noise using an angle of 90 degrees and about 10 pixels of blur (you can use more blur if you want). Change the layer blend mode to Multiply.
  • Turn off the temporary gray layer (we don't need it anymore). You should now have this:
Step2.jpg

• Duplicate this layer and rotate it 90 degrees to create a cross-hatch effect.
  • As an optional step, you can add a little more noise to one of these layers (about 15%), but I did not do that here.
Step3.jpg

• Create a new layer. Select a soft brush with Flow of about 40%. Paint with black to fill-in the central irregular black areas, and then you're done. Something like this:
Step4.jpg