What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

maths photo shop problem

loadmastersrock

i have this mathematical problem to apply to a set of images and not sure what the ^ means. maybe xOR ?

((image1 * image2 + image 3) * (image2 ^ image5 + image2 * image2 + image2 ) * (image2 * image2 *image2 + (image2 * image2 - image2 )))

thanks

In Microsoft Excel, the ^ symbol means exponents. For example, 4^3 means four to the third power (4 x 4 x 4 = 64). I assume that's what it means here, but it's not 100% clear without some further context.

I was a math major in college. The ^ symbol was not used in algebraic expressions back in the old days when math was done with pencil & paper. I believe the ^ symbol came about in the personal computer age.

By the way, I'd be curious to understand how any of this applies to images. If the image is any kind of normal photograph, then it's not obvious that a photogaph can be summarized down to one number, or what that would even mean. The only situation I can think of where this kind of thing applies in Photoshop is in layer blend modes, where mathematical operations are done to individual pixels on one layer that sit immediately above other pixels on other layers.

Back