What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matte colors

loveforvdubs2, you can download the PSD file from the following URL, but here is the process:
1. I enhanced the reds using selective color for easy pick up later on, I did not want to use any selections as it would likely leave red halos
2. The second layer is a Hue & Saturation layer in which I reduced the saturation in Reds and Magentas while reducing Lightness, thus making those colors darker
3. The next layer is a blank layer for cloning the very bright parts to make the next step a bit easier
4. Then a burn/dodge layer with blending mode set to overlay and the layer filled with 50% gray, I painted over the specular highlights with a black brush. The opacity of the brush was set to around 35% to build density gradually.

You want some lighter parts on the black otherwise the body will lose its form, however you can burn to your hearts content on the burn layer, but I recommend not making everything plain black. An improvement over this will be to change the black to a very dark charcoal color.

The PSD file is at: (Sorry for the spelling of the URL, the system will not allow me to post URLs since I do not have the required minimum of 4 posts.) I will delete the file from there tomorrow or when you indicate you got it here, whichever comes first.

www dot keptlight dot com slash testblog slash bike.psd

Thanks Acekin this was very helpful and I got the file! But I am a bit confused on layer 3, how do I clone the bright parts?

Here is what I got. I did get a bit of haloing when I isolated the gas tank(the only portion I have done so far). But again, thanks to everyone for all the help. bike.jpg

That was one reason why I did not want to use a selection but let the color selections handle it for me. If you want to isolate it only to the gas tank:
1. select all the adjustment layers and press Ctrl-G to put them to a group
2. apply a layer mask to the group
3. Paint the parts you do not want to convert to mat black with a black paint brush

That will give you a cleaner gas tank with no halos. Also, the tank not having any tonal variance on different angled surfaces it looks like a hole with soot inside. If you look at the BMW you posted as a sample you will see tonal variations around the fenders which give it dimensionality. But, all said, it is your bike, it is your modification, you can do whatever you like.

I presume you disapprove the treatment dv8_fx? Would you care to elaborate? There are actually 5 separate adjustment layers the opacity of each can be adjusted according to taste and need. Matte paint would not have created the heavy specular highlights creating the dull look.

lol.... nah... what my last post meant was something my PS teacher really did say long ago. He never really liked rushing when finding the right settings on those sliders. and as I said, the work was rushed... tho with a little tweak more it would have been there.... but at 3am, had to hit the sack... twas great you jumped in....

And great work acekin. We need more guys like you in the forum who could help out others during all time zones.....

Oh yeah..... Welcome to the forum, acekin.

The difference between matte and glossy surfaces is primarily in the way they reflect light. Any color can be treated as matte by reducing reflections to the point of creating the basic form of the object. For instance, a matte black ball will still look round because of the subtle differences between the areas that directly receive the light and other parts that receive less light, and thus are in the shade or shadow. If all the tones are made of uniform tonality, that is with no difference in luminosity, the black ball will look like a black hole. Glossy, or shiny surfaces may also have mirror-like qualities and create reflections of the environment whereas the matte surface will have none of it. In Photoshop, cloning, healing brushes along with burning may be the needed tools to create the illusion of a matte surface. All of this must be done so that the result does not look contrived.

Back