What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Menu size too small in Photoshop

Gozoman

I had CS5 installed on my Windows 7 laptop with a screen resolution of 1600 x 900 and it was fine. That laptop died and I've replaced it with a Windows 10 laptop with a screen resolution of 3840 x 2160. When I installed Photoshop on this machine and opened it I couldn't make out any of the menus. I've tried changing the resolution on the Windows 10 laptop but it makes no difference. How can I change the size of things in Photoshop so I can actually see them? See attached photo.Photoshop menu size.jpg

polarwoc

Guru
In Photoshop, try Edit>Preferences>Interface...>UI Scaling and change it to 200%

It would require a restart for you to observe changes.

Gozoman

In Photoshop, try Edit>Preferences>Interface...>UI Scaling and change it to 200%

It would require a restart for you to observe changes.

Thanks I'll look at that if I can find it! My eyesight is bad at the best of times.

polarwoc

Guru
You can try Shortcuts as an alternative.
Alt + E to invoke Edit,
N to invoke Preferences,
I to invoke Interface.

Gozoman

Tried this and actually had to use a magnifying glass to read the Preferences menu! When I click on Interface there is no UI Scaling. There is a box at the bottom which says UI Text Options and this contains two boxes, UI Language and UI Text Size. That's it.

Aakshat

Power User
Tried this and actually had to use a magnifying glass to read the Preferences menu! When I click on Interface there is no UI Scaling. There is a box at the bottom which says UI Text Options and this contains two boxes, UI Language and UI Text Size. That's it.
Unfortunately its Adobe's fault and you cant do much about it.
check if you have "experimental features" in preferences.
in experimental features there should be an option to scale ui to 200%. if it doesn't fix your problem, you'll have to go the hard way, modifying registry key and manifest files. its the only way to fix it.
you can read more about it here
Adobe app scaling on high dpi displays fix

i'm not sure that the files on that website will work with CS5 or not. so take proper system backup before modifying any file.

polarwoc

Guru
Sorry, I was going by CC V 19.0 which is on my computer. Maybe @Aakshat's suggestion would work for your CS5?
Also, please check if Accessibility features of Windows 10 may help.

Gozoman

Unfortunately its Adobe's fault and you cant do much about it.
check if you have "experimental features" in preferences.
in experimental features there should be an option to scale ui to 200%. if it doesn't fix your problem, you'll have to go the hard way, modifying registry key and manifest files. its the only way to fix it.
you can read more about it here
Adobe app scaling on high dpi displays fix

i'm not sure that the files on that website will work with CS5 or not. so take proper system backup before modifying any file.

Okay, thanks for that.

gedstar

Guru
Hi
Try this, right click on the Photoshop shortcut and select Properties and then select the Compatibility tab then click on Change high DPI settings next put a check mark in Override high DPI scaling behaviour and select System from the drop down menu

1532882857235.png

Gozoman

Hi
Try this, right click on the Photoshop shortcut and select Properties and then select the Compatibility tab then click on Change high DPI settings next put a check mark in Override high DPI scaling behaviour and select System from the drop down menu

View attachment 90713

Hi there, I have just this moment finished editing the registry as suggested by Aakshat and it worked. I now have everything normal size. Wish I had seen this idea of yours first though as it might have been easier! Thanks for the suggestion.

puppychew

Power User
Hi - I just got a new computer and had the same problem and this fixed it. Are there any drawbacks by doing this on a high resolution monitor? My old laptop has max resolution of 1600x900 and my new laptop has 3840x2160.

Will I be losing anything by using this solution? What are the advantages of upgrading from CS-5 to PS CC?