What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metal Boy

Indigo

In the challenge 3 thread, page 3 or so, is a lovely image by vogonpoet which he called Metal Boy. How did he it? Not asking for a detailed tut but some rough, general idea on how V went about it. Did he do a metal texture and overlaid that over the original image? It is a nice effect and the person is still quite recognizable.

(Btw, other than that, if i see one more image of that snotty, snooty kid with his golf clubs i think i will puke).

kiwi

Guru
Baaaaarf me too :D .....ya but wasnt it fun messing with the little gits pixels

Try the sketch filter menu > chrome Indigo,not positive but it looks like VP may have used that filter :)

Stu.

theKeeper

Guru
Also try Desaturating the photo/image, then using the Curves filter to produce a metal type of effect.

For the curves, basically just add 3 new control points to the line, along the points where the lines of the grid cross. Then leave the center one alone and move the other 2 up'n'down until the effect begins to dial in.

Hopefully VP will catch this thread and address your question more specifically. ;)

vogonpoet

Hi Indigo,

Mark was pretty close.

I took the original image, lifted the boy from it, and then on a copied layer of the boy, I used the channel mixer (found under IMAGE--ADJUST) with the 'monochrome' checkbox selected to make the boy grayscale. I find using the channel mixer to give me more control than using the 'desaturate', but use what works for you.

I then used an 'curves adjustment layer' to accentuate the tonal differences much like one would do working on a shiny metal texture. I possibly used a 'levels adjustment layer' also.

More than likely I did a tad of 'unsharpening' to finish the look.

I am at work and have not got access to my home PC til this evening, but if I saved the orignal .psd, I will zip it up and post it.
I am not sure if I kept the orig of that image :(

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any other questions/problems :)

Indigo

Thanks for the feedback. Will experiment with this a little tonight.

Vogonpoet, good to see you here; I know you from the GN (I'm Journey there).

kiwi

Guru
Thats a Doh! [doh] from me I was not even close even close :D

Stu.

Indigo

I gave "our little darling" the Vogonpoet treatment. I'll post it here. It is a nice effect but it can't compare with what V did. Obviously at some point he inversed the image but can't figure out where to do this. I tried to set the blending mode of the curves at difference, tried some other inverse methods but am not getting it. I'm probably very stupid for not figuring this one out.
V's image is much more delicate and to a non PSer it looks like he has been sweating with actual charcoal sticks over it for a long time. I am not trying to imitate V (well, actually, I do :) ) but it would be nice to know the treatment.

PS: given my rotten comments about the kid with the golf clubs I hope he's not a childhood image of someone around here. If so, you have improved greatly ! [slick]

boygrin.jpg

Indigo

And here's a little variation on the above. The Keeper will probably be none too pleased but I think it looks pretty cool.

scary.jpg

theKeeper

Guru
and why would i be "none too pleased"???

I think it looks fine! hahaa [oops]

In fact, i think i'll try that myself on that photo. [tease]

vogonpoet

well sorry I didnt get back to you last night! (the bar beckoned!)

I searched for the original, but couldn't find a version that had all teh steps so I recreated it as best as I could remember (using the Keeper as a test subject!).

It looks like I just used a curves and a levels adjustment layer and dinked about with them. Not sure if its as good as the orig, but seems close.

In one of the older versions of the orig, I had merged down some layers and the layer name was 'gradient map' so it does look like I used some sort of gradient map also, but I can't remember doing that! (thats what happens when one gets old)

Anyhow, hope that helps, I think what you have is a good interpretation Indigo :)

I have uploaded a zipped version of theKeeper psd for you to play with if it helps.

psd here (235kb)

Indigo

It's quite all right, Vogonpoet, and thanks for all your doing in this. In your original Metal Boy you added some "secret ingredient" which just give that nice extra touch to it. Will be exploring more ways with images like this. After all, you don't learn all that much if you get it all spoonfed.

Tron

Guru
Been following this thread with interest :shocked:
So I thought I would have a try

Just for fun of course [confused]

Indigo

That's great, Rick! After looking at your image, what do you think? Should the PSG come out with annual Golden Keepers???
You would be most definitely nominated for your "Don't worry Keeper; we'll get version 7.0". That image has made me laugh so wholeheartedly this week, that it should be nominated for either the Comedy category or the Mental Health category!.

Tron

Guru
You know Indigo I think an annual Keeper award show would be a great idea :perfect:

Thanks for the comments :D

I think the Mental health award must go jointly to sfm and kiwi
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

sfm

Guru
cool a keeper award :D

well stu would win the mental health award cos mine is well twisted [confused] round the pool he he he :rofl:

sfm

Smurf

Keeper Awards... YAY!!! think of all the merchandising... keeper t-shirts, hats, badges, pens... Keeper Toilet Tissue.... Golden Keeper Bubblbath (in a bottle shaped like the award)...
Mark, we have just found a way to make you a millionaire!!!!
:perfect:

Alistair

Guru
Jus, curious, can you convert anything to metal using that method? Also, is that one thread witht that metal boy pick still around? :)