What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metal

stOrM!

Hey there...

I think I know almost all sites on the net which are developing tuts on how to recreate metal styles but never found something similiar to the one on the attachment here...

Would be great if someone can explain it to me...

kindest regards
s!

I think that looking for metal tutorials won't result in this look because the substrate is not metal. It's plastic. A matte plastic with metalic flakes in the paint.

So you'd want to look for plastic effect tuts. And probably soften the highlights to simulate the soft, diffused look that are prevalent on the curvy bits. Oh, and maybe ad some sort of subtle texturing to represent the matted surface.

[thewebmachine.com] has some nice, simple and effective tuts on metals and plastic...maybe you could use a combination to achieve this sort of effect.

-Floydski

You may be able to do something similar with gradients and the air brush. Just break it down to the basic shapes. Fill with gradients. If there are metal flakes add a little noise. Use the air brush to add the shading and highlights. Some playing around with the brush fade and size settings will also help.

Well, first of all, it's a photograph, because I have that same camera looking at me from the top of my monitor as I type.
Second, the .jpg appears to have been converted to a .gif at some point due to the dithering, which has been misread as metal flakes. It's simply noise levels to smooth gradient transitions.
Third, it can be rendered in photoshop just like illustrations were done in the old days...good drawing skills, and judicious painting...
This is about 10 minutes at the size and resolution you see posted. If I were rendering it for a client, I would take longer, and work from a MUCH bigger image at a higher resolution...No fancy metal or plastic tutorials, no texture needed; just layers, circular gradients, monochromatic noise, and some airbrushing...and this is real rough. Given a couple hours, you could make a good photorealistic illustration.

Always remember the old adage of Keep It Solidly Simple! Professionals do not over analyze images, it costs them money. If you learn to use the tools available in Photoshop, you will soon visually recognize the components that make up an illustration, and the basic skills to recreate them.

PRACTICE. DRAW. EXPERIMENT. You'll learn more that way that will stay with you far longer than spending far more time than you need looking for a tutorial. Keep in mind that tutorials are someone else's interpretation of using the same tools, and most of the "simple effects" are nothing spectacular, just directions to the basics that many people never bother learning to utilize...

re

Well first let me thank you all for explainings!

MsOz:
it can be rendered in photoshop just like illustrations were done in the old days

Are you able to guide me here, I'm not sure I understand.8[

Well if it's doesnt take to much time maybe you will be able to make some screenshots of what you have done to receive the great result... I will then play around and see what I can come up with, its really interesting to me... %}

Well again thank you all!

kindest regards
s!

Back