What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mixtape Cover Idea.

Do not use Bevel&Emboss effect... pretty much ever! lol It looks old. In general, elements don't look blended together well and colors are bit sad..

Do not use Bevel&Emboss effect... pretty much ever! lol It looks old. In general, elements don't look blended together well and colors are bit sad..

There isn't a single feature in Photoshop that you shouldn't EVER use. I use bevel and emboss all the time, it's a great way to get a quick starting 3D effect. What I will say is that you should almost never let a PS filter or effect stand as is. They should almost always be tweaked or used in addition to other techniques, not a stand alone, click and I'm done, quick fix.

That being said, the first thing you might want to tweak is the text. I had a hard time making it out, and the icons to the left of the hand are almost illegible as text if that is what it is. I like the spaceship, hand, money roll thing, and the beam coming from the ship is pretty good.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, is there any good blending tutorials? I have only been using Photoshop for like 3 Weeks now. Im still very new to it lol

There isn't a single feature in Photoshop that you shouldn't EVER use. I use bevel and emboss all the time, it's a great way to get a quick starting 3D effect. What I will say is that you should almost never let a PS filter or effect stand as is. They should almost always be tweaked or used in addition to other techniques, not a stand alone, click and I'm done, quick fix.

That being said, the first thing you might want to tweak is the text. I had a hard time making it out, and the icons to the left of the hand are almost illegible as text if that is what it is. I like the spaceship, hand, money roll thing, and the beam coming from the ship is pretty good.

B&E is what newbies always tend to use when they start, I know I did.. but out of stunning works I've seen online none of them have B&E, not sure I could name you any...

Good points about text..

B&E is what newbies always tend to use when they start, I know I did.. but out of stunning works I've seen online none of them have B&E, not sure I could name you any...

Good points about text..

Ahh, but in a stunning professional work you would have no way of knowing that they even used bevel and emboss, which is my whole point. Use the effect as a tool to enhance your work, don't make the effect your work. A tool is just a tool, it's how the artist uses it that matters. :)

Last edited:
Mmm.. I dont want to argue lol you could be right.. could be wrong about B&E. :D

Oh I'm not arguing. I'm nicely trying to explain to you that telling a beginner they should never ever use a tool is bad advice.
Beginners should be encouraged to explore and become familiar with tools so they can use them properly, and figure out what works for them. Would you tell Da Vinci that he shouldn't ever use a charred piece of wood to draw with because only newbies use that?
OK I'm done derailing the thread, if you don't get my point well, the best to you then. :)

mtxvip: It's not as simple as just blending. It's color theory, color correction, design and a whole lot more. My opinion is for now focus on fixing the text. Make what you think looks cool, but make sure it's readable. :)

I meant I don't want to start arguing lol

What I noticed newbies keep using B&E until someone tells them not to.. if no one says then they stop experimenting with other effects actually. Seen my friend do it :)

Okay theres a lot I will say about this. If its a cover it should be square not rectangle. The purple font isnt bad but you have added so much effects its pretty hard to read. The font used in the bottom left is terrible, I dont have a clue what its meant to say. The hand looks like its been distrot when it was being resized. I guess there nohting wrong with the spaceship. The moon in the top left looks bad if Im being honest. The green plant? also looks like its been blurred to much. Also the stars looks quite blurry. You should try and use larger images and scale them down instead of making smaller images bigger becasue the get pixalated unless they are vecotrs. This is all just my opinion so dont take it to heat. I guess you are just starting to use ps? Also the money roll should have some kind of shading due to the light beam to make it more realistic.

Sorry for any spelling and grammar mistakes lol

Back