What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mock up of Photo inside Christmas Ornament - Smart Object, Layers? Arrgh!!!

cynanders

I purchased a mock up of a acrylic ornament and am trying to use it for the first time. I don't know much about Photoshop and I feel like an idiot!

I've opened the mock up file as a smart object and made the background on the photo transparent. It just covers up the ornament completely.

Is it even possible to do this? t must have something to do with layers. Is it right to identified the mock up as a smart object? I don't know if I should even care about that or just worry about layers. I've watched so many youtube videos my head is spinning.

The first photo is the way I want it to look. The second photo is what I get and the third photo is the mock up I purchased.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Cindy

Remi-SP.jpg

John and Alex Bulb3.png

Bulb Mockup - Buffalo Plaid Bow.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Cindy.

Unfortunately your going to have to post the mockup PSD file or PM it to one of us in order for us to help you out. It's hard to presume how a mockup is set up and offer advice without seeing it.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I quickly made this ornament from your image using a smart object mockup. The image can quickly be changed in a matter of seconds. The problem is that I don't know if this is the same as the mockup your using.
Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 3.03.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 3.05.47 PM.png

The image can also be sphereized.
Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 3.08.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 3.21.50 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK.

Now lets look at what problem you're having?
I've opened the mock up file as a smart object and made the background on the photo transparent.
What does this mean that you made the background transparent? Does that mean that you simply turned off the stock images in the PSB file?

It just covers up the ornament completely.
What covers up the ornament completely?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
When you double click the SO (smart object), you open a PSB document which is where changes should be made.

In the PSB doc, your supposed to trim, crop, or mask the image that you have added and then save the changes.

Here I have not added a layer mask to the puppy image.
Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 6.08.45 PM.png

But when I make a selection that matches the reference circle provided by the mockup,......
Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 6.11.58 PM.png

I can add a layer mask to the puppy image, turn off the reference circle, and then save the document.
Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 6.12.25 PM.png

Now I have the puppy in the ornament mockup document....
Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 6.25.46 PM.png

Just a quick comparison to my version. A little different but not necessarily better.
Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 6.38.26 PM.png

cynanders

I selected the white around the photo
OK.

Now lets look at what problem you're having?

What does this mean that you made the background transparent? Does that mean that you simply turned off the stock images in the PSB file?
I googled and researched making the background clear/transparent because the seller said to do that. I think I selected the white around the image and deleted it. I'm not sure what "turning off the stock images in the PSB files means". Sorry I'm new to this!

What covers up the ornament completely?
If you look at the pic of my results, you can see that when I move the photo over the ornament - you can't see anything behind it.

So I have two things to work with. The mock up and what is basically a cropped photo to the shape of the ornament. I tried saving this as an svg, a jpg and a png. I opened the mock up and moved the photo over the ornament and the result is in the first set of photos that I posted. Does that make sense?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you look at the pic of my results, you can see that when I move the photo over the ornament - you can't see anything behind it.
Are you adding the photo to the original PSD document or in the PSB document that opens when you double click the SO?

cynanders

Are you adding the photo to the original PSD document or in the PSB document that opens when you double click the SO?
I didn't know there was a difference. Is the original PSD document not a smart object?

I just made sure it's the PSB document. How do I add the photo to this?

Mock up as PSB_ I hope.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I didn't know there was a difference. Is the original PSD document not a smart object?
Yes there is a difference. The original PSD document contains a smart object and is not one in and of itself. Only one layer is a SO.

I just made sure it's the PSB document. How do I add the photo to this?
This is a PSB, but I can tell that you did not arrive to it in a normal manner. There is not a PSD document open.

Had you opened this properly, you would have two documents tabbed open like this. The original PSD doc in yellow and the PSB doc in red.
Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 10.02.01 PM copy.png

As for adding an image to the PSB doc, simply drag and drop it on the canvas.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Another thing that will help you here is that you and I need to be working on the same file. You seem to be using something different than what you uploaded.

You have to start here with the SO layer in the PSD doc, double click the SO.............
Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 10.17.19 PM copy.png

...and the SO will open as a PSB doc. This is where you add the image.
Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 10.02.01 PM copy2.png

You may want to look at this thread: https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/threads/about-your-layers-panel.65931/

cynanders

Thank you so much for your help with this. I realize I have much to learn. I've been trying to follow your directions. You make it very clear. Again, thank you!