What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Modifying text

crutledge

When I am inserting text into an image, there is a control for BOLD, UNDERLINE, and ITALIC which is always greyed out. I have tried various fonts and setting with no effect.

I sometimes need to italicise words.

How do I get this to work?

Thank you.

Not all fonts support it some of them come with their own font styles within the family, you may be able to enable the other options if you select faux bold first.

Are you using Photoshop? I'm not understanding where you are seeing these grayed out options. If a font has a bold version or italic version, it exists in a dropdown menu next to the font. If the font doesn't have an italic version, it doesn't exist in the list; not a grayed out option....

If italicizing is all you're after, you could always use Edit>Transform>Scew and drag the top handle of the transform box to the right. You can do this while maintaining the font layer (without rasterizing).

If you want to go bold and it is not an option, then hold CTRL while left clicking the type layer to load a selection of the text and then use Select>Modify>Expand and choose the appropriate amount of pixels to get it as bold as you'd like. Create a new layer and use the Edit>Fill option to fill the selection with your desired color. However, this will give a raster result that cannot be edited as text or enlarged without pixelating.

Those faux options are always so "weak" though :/ And isn't underline always CTRL+SHIFT+U regardless of the font family?

Back