What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mosaic head shot?

JeffK

Guru
I happened across this image and can't quite get how it was created. I've tried some filters and settings but nothing comes close. My instinct is that of course there's more than one layer involved but I can't nail down the process to create the spaced mosaic/bit mapped look. Appreciate all guidance and toughts on this...

tiled head shot.JPG

Very interesting! Great effect!

At the moment, I'm not exactly sure how it's done..............but I have some ideas. I will update when I can!

actually looks like a still from digital video breakup ;-)
The credit on the image for the article reads "Mother Jones illustration; Rachel La Corte/AP; Getty". Cant find any other info...
Another simple guess is that this might be a collage since the pieces resemble parts of the underlying image...

I'm still working on this, but to just give some idea as to where I'm going................I don't see a mosaic or collage. I see a 3 color digital cammo overlay with two masked underlying images. There could possibly be some custom "square pattern" brushes. And some blending options.

I was able to produce this. It's not really the same as the sample but maybe it will give you some ideas.

1665073175926.png

Here are the steps:
  • Choose three colors.
  • Fill a new layer entirely with the lightest of the three colors.
  • Set the foreground and background colors as your other two (darker) colors.
  • Select a brush with a random shape and activate Scattering and Color Dynamics. Painting with this brush will create a random distribution of your two darker colors on top of the light color. This is all done on one layer. Something like this:
1665073734649.png

Go to Filter>Pixelate>Mosaic. I set the square size to 20, but you can experiment.

1665073835080.png

On a new layer above this, fill the layer entirely with your lightest color. Activate the Blend-If sliders to create large interior swaths of this light color. These are the settings I used.

1665074154931.png

1665074565815.png

This is about as close as I can get without matching the patterns of the original image.

Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 12.22.53 PM.png

Basically what I did was to find/create a digital cammo BG.
Use Color Range to make a selection of all the colors in the digital cammo BG and copy them to their own layers.

Next I copied the Joe Kent image and converted both to black and white. I offset one above the other.
I clipped the copied/2nd offset Joe Kent image layer (2) to the (Color Range) selected cammo layers, one by one, until I found one I liked.
I discarded the others.

I then copied the original BG (Dig Cammo) layer and placed it at the top of the layer stack.
I changed it's blending mode to "overlay" and reduced it's opacity to 70%.

Lastly, I added layer masks to the Joe Kent image layer 2 and the color range selection layer.
I used the Brush Tool with both a round and a square brush on the layer masks to adjust the image.

Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 12.42.53 PM.png

I'd say that's awesome work, Sam. It's a tough match but that's quite a bit of work you put in...thanks!

You're welcome. It's not exact and may not be the technique the original creator used, but it's my interpretation of the effect.

I still have quite a bit to go - but here's a version I tried. I basically found images of block puzzles and copies them onto a layer. Then I duplicated it several times moving and rotating each image.
Then I tool the base image of subject, placed it on a layer, then clipped it to the block pieces. Played with some opacity and moved some pieces around. It's a bit of a Frankenstein, but a start..

blocks portrait.jpg

that's pretty bloody good sam, i'm very impressed (as ever;-))

i still think the original is a digital still from video breakup, but of course, such breakups take many forms. i'll have to have a play in resolve to see if i can create something similar...

stay well

Back