What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mud slow load

SCync

Power User
Hey Mark, this is one of the coolest PS sites going, but what is with the load time?
Is it the content heavy design? All I know is the pages on this site limp into existence, and I'm on cable.God bless the 57K modem folk.

If you need some loot to up to better server, say as much. We make that happen.
:perfect:

Wow thanks for the financial offering SCync, but truth-be-told this is a very fast server. I'm on an OC3 backbone.

Erik was just mentioning this too actually. hmmm... so now, it bothers me to hear this.

There are only a couple things that might be effecting download times right now: One is that our parent ISP (Telus) is having problems or is upgrading/doing maintenance or something. And i'm not sure about that, cause i think they always lie to people when you ask about that stuff or try to check their service or line avaliability over the phone.
And Two is that the lines between you and this server are bogged or having problems. I think too that just below us in the US there are some line problems going on. When i ping the server (Telus) all the ping times are -50ms except one line somewhere just over the border.

In any event... I'll have a chat with my guy who owns the server and see what he thinks.

Oh and another small issue may be that the database for the Forum is now upwards of 265mb. [saywhat] That may also be playing a role here.

Tell me... is it just the Forum, or the whole site in general? If it's the whole site then it's a server issue for sure. If it's just the boards, then the db may be playing a role.

Thanks for letting me know too. :perfect:

Hey Mark same problem here and I am on a dedicated T1. The main site loads fine but the Forum is very, very slow to load. Sometimes it takes two or three tries to even get in to the main page of the Forum as I receive time out errors.

ye it's really slow loaded for me to and im on a 10mbit fullduplex line.

so maby its time to start cleaning up the db a bit or something.

Rock on

Ya Mark, I poked around the rest of your site, and, as abbe says, the forum seem to be the one with lock-jaw.
I don't know what you're using for db admin, but it looks like it may be worth a gander.
As always, if you need a hand with anything, holler! [honesty]

hmmmm.... ok well this is the kind of info i really needed to know about guys, thanks alot for making me aware.

I'll have to think through what to do about the database issue because this board has no "archive" abilities. So the only way to lighten the db load is to simply delete stuff. I've done this once before and afterward thought i'd rather not do that again. But obviously something will need to be done.

I'm gonna talk to my buddy who owns the server and see if he has any recommendations. I'll keep everyone informed.

PS: if at some point here now something seems a little "off" about the Forum, you'll know that it because of something i've done recently. By "off" i mean, threads missing, etc. :B

Just some suggestions from someone that has run the same boards you are running.

You may need to limit the download size of the pics, actual size of the pics such as 600x600 max, limit the size of the sig banners, etc.

The dbase size yes is an issue but it is from the very large pics and banner sigs. One thing that may help is to do away with the banner sigs all together. Most of the time members don't post huge pics but depending on the res it is still a load on the dbase which slows the board down as well as the sig lines.

Ya i agree completely Linda.

I just pruned over 11,000 posts and hopefully that'll speed things up again. They were mainly in unessential boards -- show room and campfire boards. Anything 2003 or older is gone.
I'm going to make a note to folks from now on that any thread not replied to for 2 months will be pruned. I think 2 months is long enough for posts like those to last when not being used.

And i'm going to reduce file size now to 100kb. That's a lot more than any other board i've been on allows. So that seems fair enough. And i also agree about the sig files... although they would not have any effect on the front page loading -- which is a good gauge to go by.

Only thing is, i have no specific option to just turn off image sigs. Only sigs in general.

Yeah that is a bummer about the sigs for sure. I just came in from three different browsers, three different machines and to hit the main Forum page is taking an average of 12 seconds for it to show up. Then when I log in that is another 10 seconds for it to log me in. So for me the purge hasn't helped.

May have to go through and delete the very large pics that are on the forum now. We had this problem also and had to nix the sig lines and not allow any animated avatars. Hang in there Mark.

WOW I don't know why but I am not having any load problems, loads as fast as ever for me on a DSL connection.

Actually Rick i'm noticing the same here. Today, everything seems to be loading quite fast.

Don't forget too folks that the board's speed issues may well be grounded in the fact that the pipelines going to/from this server are having trouble. And that it's just a matter of time before they get cleaned out.

Linda.... i don't think sig files are the problem, because as i said before, they have no bearing at all on how fast the front page takes to load up. They would only be an issue when viewing threads.
And besides that too Linda, people can choose to hide sigs and avatars if they want. The option is within the user Prefs. You should try that and see if it helps your situation at all.

I should also say that generally, there's no reason for anyone to "log out" when leaving the Forum. It saves time/hassle later when you return, and poses no security threat in the slightest to anyone.

:B

I haven't had any noticeable slowdown apart from the usual general peak times, where everything slows down regardless of which site I'm on.
I've got sigs off, always logged on and have the Main board for a bookmark.

Usually loads fast enough to keep me happy. (for a 56'er)
I take it you were working on the site on Friday \:] Saturday?

Cheers, Al.

No not working on anything Al. But i was probably backin up the database. Which i noticed recently really slow crap down around here. It never used to, at least not to a noticeable degree, but lately it does. generally though i do that between 3-5am.

Just that I got a couldn't connect to server for a couple of hours on one of these days.

3-5 am! I'm just getting into my third coffee break by then. ;)

Hey Mark! I think I figured out the problem well as far as my connection was concerned. $printlink was having isssues and dropping packets for a few days so my hop to CA was not good. Things are back to normal for my load of the Forum.

aaa ok cool, thanks for the update Linda.

This of course now means that others experiencing load issues might need to check with their ISP also to see if they're having problems or doing maintenance. :B

So true. If they run into this again just do a tracert and you will see the packets being dropped before they get to your provider. Anything over 60-80ms, depending on your connection, is trouble and will cause a slowdown in the connection.

Ok, just my two canadian cents (is that still worth something in this day and age?? :p ). Just from my perspective - working on some enterprise systems and the like - slow response is usually due to network issues almost half of the time. Also - since the images on a page actually "renders" last (from the little I've experienced), it might just time out on those - so I can't see how DB/image size would affect the actual page response since the main skeleton of the page (even though PHP/server generated) is still fairly small since the pics are probably just stored as links and passed to the frontend via HTTP - thus not affecting reads from a database - and that loads first - so you'd see something at least. Or are you storing the images in a database somehow Mark? Can't see how that'd be feasible since they're fairly huge and uncompressable in terms of plain data - so I doubt you'd do that - so-called BLOBs.

Ok - what I should've just said was: "Hey! I'm in Africa - and I've never had response problems on PSG - in fact it's proven more resilient and stable than many other corporate sites". Yeah, I should've said that instead....

haha Thanks Dodo.
I'm in canada, and i agree. :D

Or are you storing the images in a database somehow Mark?
While that IS possible, it's not what i do. This board doesn't work like that. And i wouldn't like it if it did. All atachments are stored in a "files" folder and referrenced as plain text from the db.

That's a good idea too Linda. Never hurts for one to know what's up when there's a problem. Here's an excellent site i found a long while ago. I use this place a lot: www.dnsstuff.com. It's completely free and they have a canadian site too http://ca.dnsstuff.com.
They have some wonderfull tools. :B

Whoa Mark, such a fine link, absolutely bonus, how I've missed it before is beyond me. \:]
Is this becoming an all-Canuck thread? Saint Johnny the B day here, today. :rofl:
Anyway, I'm afraid the load time is still a bit of an issue, for me. Did some NeoTrace logging, and my ISP's routing dies somewhere in Markham, then kicks up again, after that.

So, I 've got a new S&S to install tomorrow, so I can do some skootin' this weekend, so I better bail.

btw, doing some recording up at the Sunshine Coast in late Aug, and then a little Vancouver handshaking. Maybe a frosty is in order.

Later.

Back