What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multi colored clouds?

I know the technique for 2 colored clouds, but I cant seem to find a way the do a 4 colored based cloud. What am i missing?

(Stu/ Erik, this should probably be better in New Users area, ta Al)

Hiya Black Lightning, for your multi coloured clouds try this.

Fill layer with any colour. (The Clouds Filter will not work on a transparent layer)

1. Pick foreground and background colours.
2. Filter > Render > Clouds.
3. Choose another pair of colours.
4. Filter >Render > Difference Clouds. (Still on the same layer)
5. Optional but recommended just for the fun.
Hit Command + F (MAC) or Control + F (PC) to re-apply the last filter again and again..

This will give something similar (probably not) to the attachment below.

You could try changing to a third or even fourth pair of colours instead! Try it and see. Twiddle, experiment and have fun.

Al.[/i]

Another thing to try would be to render black and white clouds and then use a gradient map to apply color to them.

Havin fun with clouds

Rantin al,
How come I've never heard you rant and why can't you spell color right.
I did what you suggested and that little trick with difference and command F really opens things up to the the heavens. Reminds me of William Blake.
I just got a wacom tablet and have been playing with that, setting it to color dynamics. I thought these sluggy little things went well with the clouds.
I'll have to try the gradient map once I find out what it is.
Ferlin :D
Well , iguess you can't see my pic on this forum. Maybe I'll put it on the showboard if I can break the grip of tryin out new things with my new
pressure sensitive pen

Re: Havin fun with clouds

Ferlin said:
Rantin al,
How come I've never heard you rant and why can't you spell color right.
Al lives in Scotland (I checked his profile), so his spelling is correct. Btw, most people in the world spell 'colour'.
English spelling differs in some countries, didn't you know that Ferlin?

Ferlin!!! whaydya mean "cant spell color right" ??. Rantin and I are from a place slightly North of the country that invented the language :\ :D :D. By the way you'll find that William Blake spelled it that way too.

I think Mindbenders suggestion of the Gradient Map is the neatest suggestion here, you can have as many colours as you want and set it up as an adjustment layer. Control F can still be used to give different random distributions

You're not the only one Ferlan.

I also thought that spelling "colour" in this way must have been a typo the first time I saw it here.

Was a while back but I think I did a google search on the word Colour and found it is legit.

Helped me to learn something I never would have been aware of outside of the usa.

Rantin al :perfect:

Not entirely true... only english speaking languages would spell it that way. Other languages would spell it completely differen't... in fact it would probably be a different word all together. In non-western countries it wouldn't even have the same letters. Why you never know how people might spell things in other parts of the world...

Hafa na kulot i nganga'?

Kulot apaka' i nganga'.

[shhh] :D

[upset] DAAH! What do you mean 'Never Rant'???

Get back on topic you bunch of Tumshie Heided Sassenachs!!

Will that do for now?

Read the true history of the origins of "Rantin' Al, the First" in the letters page of Computer Arts issue 65.
That was the abridged version, He! He!
I had been trying for ages to get into CArts for ages but I meant the exposure section. I was surprised when they printed it.

It was generally noted as one of the finest rants that had ever been heard in a long time.
I did kinda set the heather on fire, admittedly.

Al.

colour

Naw, people, I wasjust kidding about the color - colour thing. Just trying to raise up a rant. I remember when I was in art school -seems like a lifetime ago- and with Daddys money I could afford to buy Windsor and Newton oil colours. very expensive but very good paint. Just that word colour there on the tubes made me feel like I was getting quality.
Hey Al, is Tunshie Heided Sassenachs good. I hope so because if it is'nt we might have to go bomb your country! Oh wait,you all are with us on this one. Well,, I better leave the world situation alone,, I could go an a rant myself.
Ferlin

Ye banks and braes o' bonnie Doon,
How can ye bloom sae fresh and fair!
How can ye chant, ye little birds,
And I sae weary, fu' o' care!

Burns...after a few Laphroaigs and Ardbegs..., and dreaming of the glorious days at Bannockburn!...

Hey, gov'ner, can ye spare me a few bob for a cuppa thee?

Or as they say in "my" country: "Filopenn, chalopenn, an diaoul en e glopenn, gant Merc'h an Dour Zall, ken diaoulez hag all."

colour is "liv"

Black Lightning said:
well I can tell I joined a very diverse art community :D

Yes, indeed you did, Black Lightning, and welcome! :)

There are people here of many nationalities, colours, political and religious persuasians, artistic philosophies.

Ain't it grand? B7

To go back to your topic: you can also use two layers with clouds, apply different colours to them, add a layer mask, and fill that with black and white clouds. These you can tweak with filters, curves, levels, etc...

You can also use blend modes etc...

Photoshop always offers many solutions to tackle a problem...

This one was done with three layers, each one with clouds applied to it but with different colours. Then I added masks to the two top-layers and applied clouds to these. A bit of tweaking with levels, and then I applied Edit>Transform>Distort , a great way to make clouds a bit more realistic.

(done. ta, Erik)

enjoy:

Erik said:
To go back to your topic

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa.... There was a topic?! [stuned] ;) :D

Erik Nice clouds. I tried what you said and got some good effects. This photoshop is infinite. I just wish I had more time to play-work with it.

What are Laphroags and ardbegs?
It's pretty incredible to be able to communicate with people from all over the world. I wonder what it would have been like to have had P.S. in the psychedelic 60s.

Ferlin

Laphroaig and Ardbeg, etc are single malt whisky's from the isle of Islay. In my opinion, Islay whisky's are the world's best. Their taste, a mixture of smoke, seawater is pure adventure, and it brings up memories of a past I that isn't mine, a past of coming home when it's cold and rainy, and drying one's bones beside the fire.

Many's the lad who fought on that day,
Well the claymore could wield,
When the night came, silently lay
Dead on Culloden fields...

Culloden was where the English slaugthered Scotland's pride with organised rifles squads against broadswords (called claymores)...

'nother way of creating multi-coloured clouds is to fill a doc with medium grey (you remember how, when adding a layer?) and then apply clouds/difference clouds to each separate channel. Now that is psychodeliric!
People should play do more channeling! [innocent]

Woo Hoo! %} Do that on a two different layers, crank up the unsharpen mask and set your top layer to "Difference" - now we're groovin! B7

Thanks for the tip, Erik!

Back