What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

multi monitor support

bwallx

I have two monitors on my desktop PC on the same GPU. Lightroom uses the second screen for loupe view (F11) perfectly. Photoshop has all my tabs on the second screen OK.

However if I send an image from LR to PS, it is displaced in PS on the second monitor, hidden among the tabs and partly off-screen. I have to drag it back across every time.

But this only if PS is already open on the task bar. If it has to be opended, the image is placed correctly.

Last year I queried this and was told PS wasn't configured for multiple monitors yet and to wait. A year on and nothing.

thebestcpu

Guru
I don't know the exact answer and not sure I understand you exact problem. You expect the LR image sent to PS to show up on the primary monitor? I read it that it does yet it is shifted over into the second monitor and you have to pull it back. I also assume when you refer to tabs, you are referring to the image tabs (please clarify if not). Hard to exactly visualize your problem

So a couple thoughts.
- Are these identical monitors with the same resolution?
- Have your tried changing Preferences so the that the images are not opened as tabs.

Just off hand it seems that if it is set to open up as tabs, and the tabs are all on your second monitor, that would be where it would want to open the image (I have not tried this)
Also, if the resolution is different, there is often an issue for the software to know how to scale an image. This also applies to what monitor color profile should be applied to the image.

I have such problems if I close my laptop after viewing it on an external monitor and then open it stand along as the laptop. It gets confused about screen resolution to use.

Sorry as this may not be of help yet thought mentioning these options might spark some ideas
John Wheeler

bwallx

Thanks for your thoughts. I clarify, have two monitors one showing my normal desktop and where all my programs open. Adobe allows Photoshop to arrange its tabs (adjustments, curves, history, layers and so on) on the second screen and the layout is saved as a new workplace. So I can use PS without it being cluttered. Opening a file from within PS opens the image on the main screen as you'd expect. Opening an image from LR opens the image on the second screen under all the Photoshop adjustments, layers, levels etc are placed. To see the image I thus have to click and drag it to the main screen within the main body of PS.
The screens are identical resolution.
You got me thinking about 'image tabs'. In workspace preferences, PS is set to not open in tabs (I that as I often have multiple images up). Setting to open in tabs cured the problem. But it is not a viable solution for me and is clearly a bug. I'll have to give Adobe these details. Thanks.

puraidodes

Just wondering, doesn't PS always remember where all the windows are?
Usually before closing PS move any window to the required monitor and close PS. It should remember the last position of the window.
Try this simple thing once. PS should remember where you had the open window.

You could move the entire Dock of tabs with " Photoshop adjustments, layers, levels, etc ", "your image from LR" which is docked there to the next monitor(from the wrong monitor to the correct one). Then move back each window one by one and dock the "Photoshop adjustments, layers, levels, etc" except the open image from LR. Leaving behind the LR window in the right monitor should make it remember I think!

bwallx

I make sure to close the image window whilst it is on the correct monitor as you suggest but doesn't help like you'd think it would. It must be significant that the problem only arises if PS open windows as tabs is disabled.

puraidodes

Oh Okay! I don't have LR but I used to work with 3 monitors. I have had similar problems. This usually works for me.
Other solutions that you can try
1-drag the window maximize it in the correct window and then minimize it to your required size. This makes the PS and operating system to remember this.
2- you can try is creating a new workspace.

Here are some links to the same problem with different solutions. But these are older versions. Thye may work.

Window Maximize: LR & ps

New -workspace:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/conv...urrent-displayscreen/5f5f45c24b561a3d425e3b94

Window arrangement:

bwallx

Well thanks, but no one has addressed the problem really. The main monitor is where I open Lightroom, configured for two monitors. The second monitor displays Lightroom's Loupe - a full screen image of whatever is being worked on, on the main screen. On this main screen I might crop the image and obviously expect the Loupe view to reflect the crop. But it doesn't. It seems to lag the update so that if I make another small adjustment to the crop, the first crop then appears but not the additional crop. You see what I mean? The second screen image is always one behind an adjustment I make to the image crop. This has been going on for a year now. Different graphics cards, different Win 10 versions and LR updates make no difference.