What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

multiple pages

ArtmakersWorlds

Should be a quick question but so far I can't find it, instructions online are all over the place.

So I have a SIMPLE document here, writing instructions for a relative. Probably only going to be 3-4 pages total. All I want to do is add more pages so when this thing is done it will print multiple pages easy.
Does NOT need to be a PDF. Unless that's the only way.

CS5 using an Imac. Surely this isn't so complicated. I sure can't find it though.

Thanks in advance.

What file format are you looking for it to be saved? Those that open or read it, how are they going to read the material?

Depending on that is going to determine options. PS is capable of exporting to PDF as well as image formats.
An example for Photoshop; to export the canvas size in pixels (webpages depending on target screensize); inches for things such as printed material (can do one layer for each page), or mm for A4 sized pdf per page. By default PS does not have a paging (navigation) indexing, that would be a document or pdf program. Layers would be the artboard for the storyline.

Just photoshop. Was going to create this thing, save it on my computer and print. Wasn't going to create a PDF or any other file format. But does this mean that the ONLY way to add more pages is with PDF? So photoshop itself doesn't do that?

I ended up just creating a bunch of letter size documents and numbering them. Pain in the A$$ but it worked. Still it would have been easier to just add a page as needed and have only one file, not as many as I have pages.

"Created in? Ps?" Yes.... CreatING in photoshop. My thinking is IF I were going to export as a PDF or anything else I'd have the finished thing first. But again, not giving the file to anyone, just need to print one.

Yes.... CreatING in photoshop. My thinking is IF I were going to export as a PDF or anything else I'd have the finished thing first. But again, not giving the file to anyone, just need to print one.
Thanks! I was unclear if we were talking about Ps.

Ps tends to save and print what's saved in a single document. It would be a culmination of all the layers of the document combined. So I will have to do some investigating to see if Ps can print individual multiple layers.

Well.... you just gave me a thought. Simply create a document with multiple blank 8.5 x 11 pages. Put those in layers, number them. OR even put them in folders in layers since each page may have multiple layers. Then easy enough to show folder 1, print, show 2, print and like that. Not as much of a pain as generating separate documents.

Yea this ranks up there in the DOH I should have known that category.

So I am guessing then that this is NOT a feature built into photoshop then. It's not able to collate or even simply create a multi page (even if only one side of each page) document at all.
Just assumed it could since it can do so much already. This seems rather basic. Seems not.

I am not sure if I understood the requirement correctly, but here is my understanding of it:
You have multiple PS files, lets say File1.psd, File2.psd, File3.psd and so on. You want to print them all in an easy manner.

If that is the requirement, I would create a PDF of them and print the file. To create a PDF,
1) open all those PSD files at the same time,
2) Go to File > Automate > "PDF Presentation..."
3) In Source Files section, select "Add Open Files", then sort them if needed
4) Save
This will result in a multi page PDF, which will be easy to read or print.

No not quite. It's ok, clearly photoshop was never meant to be a book layout type thing. I'll deal with it.

No not quite. It's ok, clearly photoshop was never meant to be a book layout type thing. I'll deal with it.
Hi @ArtmakersWorlds
I concur that Photoshop is not designed to exactly meet your needs.

The most complete package would be a desktop publishing app such as Adobe InDesign. That might take some learning curve similar to any new software.

Another approach not too far off from your present scheme is to use Adobe Acrobat or similar program. Adobe Acrobat allows you to easily combine multiple documents into a single PDF file where the page numbering can be handled from Adobe Acrobat. That approach allows you to keep your 1 page per file format and easily pull it into an overall single PDF document. I have used that quite a bit for my needs.

If you don't want to purchase Adobe Acrobat you explore the online free capability. I don't know the limitations of this Adobe supplied apporach as I use Adobe Acrobat . Here is the link:
https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/acro...d=adobe_com&x_api_client_location=combine_pdf

I am sure it can also be done in Photoshop yet there are some more pushups / overhead required so not sure its worth the effort. The approach I would probably take is by using Photoshop variables and data sets. Here is a description of what this approach can do
Data-driven graphics make it possible to produce multiple versions of an image quickly and accurately for print or web projects. For example, you can produce 100 versions of a web banner with different text and images, all based on a template design.
Here is the link where you could learn about this approach: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/creating-data-driven-graphics.html

Of course this is all to get around using an application specifically designed for desktop publishing or combining files to a single approach.

Thought is was worth mentioning this alternatives and hope that helps
John Wheeler

Thanks but for the tiny little project I had, not worth picking up more software. I can make do. I just thought there was an add page option and I just didn't know where. Clearly there is not.
This is not a big deal.

Thanks but for the tiny little project I had, not worth picking up more software. I can make do. I just thought there was an add page option and I just didn't know where. Clearly there is not.
This is not a big deal.
That's OK @ArtmakersWorlds . I often answer questions for my own benefit as well as other forum members who have wondered about the same question you had. I have an application where I have a couple hundred pages so what I find and post is useful for me too.

With that said, I particularly like the option that @polarwoc posted. That option allows for using all the open documents or selected files on the computer. So for reasonably sized projects, I can see loading all the pages into Photoshop, modify pages or add new documents and then using the File > Automate > PDF Presentation to put them all in a PDF for printing. No new software required.

So thank you for asking the question and thanks to all the suggestions as it will be helpful for me
John Wheeler

Back