What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multiple Polylines? (Mapping)

IanC

OK Polyline is what we call it in CAD, it may not be correct in Photoshop? My apologies!

Anyway, I want the add some reasonably long multi-node lines similar to that shown here (white line with thin black borders denoting a small road). What's the easiest way to do this please? I know there are all sorts of mapping possibilities, but in this case I need to edit a raster (TIF).

It would be nice to be able to manipulate nodes etc to get the alignment how I want, but not essential. But I certainly don't want to be manually adding thin black lines to the edges of a thick white one!

Annotation 2020-07-18 223943.jpg

thebestcpu

Guru
A starting point would be to add a empty Layer at the right point in your Layer Stack. Not that the white roads are above the terrain yet below the Lettering and at least some of the blue lines.

Use the pen tool to to create a Path for the center line for the road

Stroke that Path with the desired color road then apply a layer style with the "Stroke" option of the desired color (black for black outline)

This will get you close yet I noticed that the road also adopts some of the shading of the terrain below it so that was be additional work yet not sure how far you want to go.

I hope this gives you some ideas to consider.
John Wheeler

IanC

Thanks John, that's exactly what I was looking for! :)

Here's what I managed:

Annotation 2020-07-19 112437.jpg

If I was being REALLY picky, maybe the stroke is slightly less smooth? I have played around with opacity a little. And I guess if I want to merge the road junction, masking would be the easiest way?

thebestcpu

Guru
I think the easiest way to fix the junctions is add a layer mask and paint black at the offending overlapping black lines to see through to the lower Layer. Not at my computer right now to verify yet give that a shot.