What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first post

fredfish

Guru
Hi all

this (as the header says) is my first post to the forum.

I have often played around with OOB (Out of Box) effects but wanted something slightly more believable (there are only so many trains coming out of poloroide frames that you can do!) so I took the following images:-

ipad-photo-frames-b1.jpg
nature-water-images_504845.jpg
assassins_creed_2_scr029.jpg

And came up with:-

ipad-photo-frames-b42.jpg

This was cropped to be usable as a wallpaper

Appreciate any C&C

Cheers

John

Paul

Former Member
Welcome to the site nice effort my friend, my only issue is the grain effect i would have kept it to the screen and the bridge and person left the surrounding image as is.

fredfish

Guru
Hi Paul thanks for your comments.

I have tried what you suggested:-
ipad-photo-frames-b5.jpg

I know that everything is personal taste - my favorite is the grain over the whole image. Part of the reason in the first place was because the original desk image is quite bland.

In fairness my wife prefers the less grainy image - as I said personal taste!

I really do appreciate the alternative take on it though.

Cheers

John

Paul

Former Member
Indeed it is personal taste at the end of the day, i do prefer the remake though, gives it a stance, a position in life if you know what i mean.

This is really good, but as the others said with the grain, and you could mimic the reflections from the original screen, so it doesn't look like the scene was cut and pasted onto the upad.

fredfish

Guru
Thanks to all for the suggestions and the comments - I really like the idea of mimicking the reflections on the screen.

My guess is that the best way to do this is going to be to clone out any of the existing reflections on the boarder of the iPad and completely recreate some reflections. I think this will be easier than trying to match any new reflections with the existing ones.

I feel a bit of tinkering coming on :))

Thanks again to all.

Cheers

John

fredfish

Guru
I have taken on board some of the comments and made the following changes.

I have dropped down slightly on the grain effect - and now it is confined to the screen picture, bridge and figure.
I have remover the original screen reflections and added some new ones that also extend over the whole screen (to try to reduce the "Cut and paste" look of the image.

This version hasn't been cropped.

I really am open to any further suggestions - As I see it we are all on the same learning curve, just in different positions on that curve. I am just trying to get further along the curve!!

ipad-photo-frames-b6 2.jpg

Thanks all

John

Vetoed

I have taken on board some of the comments and made the following changes.

I have dropped down slightly on the grain effect - and now it is confined to the screen picture, bridge and figure.
I have remover the original screen reflections and added some new ones that also extend over the whole screen (to try to reduce the "Cut and paste" look of the image.

This version hasn't been cropped.

I really am open to any further suggestions - As I see it we are all on the same learning curve, just in different positions on that curve. I am just trying to get further along the curve!!

View attachment 40738

Thanks all

John

Maybe its just me but the shadows are wrong. Theres a shadow behind the screen which would suggest the light source is from the left. So the shadow under the bridge wouldnt be as dominate on the left?

fredfish

Guru
Maybe its just me but the shadows are wrong. Theres a shadow behind the screen which would suggest the light source is from the left. So the shadow under the bridge wouldnt be as dominate on the left?

You are absolutely right!! Off I go for a bit more tinkering!

Thanks.

John

fredfish

Guru
Shadow moved....

ipad-photo-frames-b6 3.jpg

CL3

Good effort dude I like the idea you came up with !. Like you said were all on a learning curve none of us are perfect and you will always get people who comment on work with maybe you should change that or should of left that theres one rule in art in general and that there is no right or wrong (to an extent) :).

ibclare

Queen Bee
Nice work. OOB is fun. We had an OOB challenge awhile ago.

I agree with the C&C above. I don't like the color revision to the BG. I liked it in your original version, minus the grain as Paul said. It gives it a slightly surreal effect which compliments the idea of the image better, IMO. It also emphasizes the subject. Also artistically, design-wise, the details in the BG on the right are distracting and kind of ugly. I would have done some cropping and cloning to make it cleaner.