What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My First Restoration attempt

Ky-leo

Hello :)
I have recently started restoring some old photos, using tutorials i found on Youtube.

This is the first one that I have been working on, its a very old picture of my Nan that im doing for my Mum as an Xmas present and i think im almost done with it. Could i get some feedback or any tips on any final touches i could do? Hoping to get it printed and framed in the next 2 days.

Here is it, before and after comparison..

Ky

compare.jpg

hawkeye

Guru
Nice work so far. I would suggest blending out the splotchy areas by painting on a new layer with a soft low opacity low flow brush. Sample the colors often and go slowly. I did a quick job on the right side of the dress just to demonstrate. By no means is my example meant to be perfect, doing it right takes time and patience. Pay attention to the highlights and shadows. Always work on a new layer. Add some noise to simulate film grain as needed. Once that's done, merge the visible layers. On the merged layer you can use the dodge and burn tools to accentuate and or create highlights and shadows. Again go slowly.
Screenshot 2020-12-21 101044.jpg

Ky-leo

Nice work so far. I would suggest blending out the splotchy areas by painting on a new layer with a soft low opacity low flow brush. Sample the colors often and go slowly. I did a quick job on the right side of the dress just to demonstrate. By no means is my example meant to be perfect, doing it right takes time and patience. Pay attention to the highlights and shadows. Always work on a new layer. Add some noise to simulate film grain as needed. Once that's done, merge the visible layers. On the merged layer you can use the dodge and burn tools to accentuate and or create highlights and shadows. Again go slowly.
View attachment 117852
That's an excellent tip, thank you, just what i was looking for really! I really appreciate that :)

Ky-leo

If you get really ambitious you can add a texture also. Use warp and puppet warp to adjust it to the clothing. I did this in a hurry, but it should give you the idea. As always use a separate layer.View attachment 117854
Thats amazing mate, im impressed! How did you get the different shades to blend so well?

Thanks

Ky-leo

Ignore that ive just figured it out. Honestl, thank you so much! Its making such a difference!