What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My First Time Using Photoshop

I was hoping to get some thoughts on the big apple. Does anyone else feel that it gets in the way? I thought it looked dreamy but now I feel it gets in the way. I'm thinking of putting flowers in her hand instead... or somehow making the apple look more like a balloon (no clue how I would do that)...
i like the effect the big apple does to the picture, but i agree its a little bit too much, I think it's because is too centered on the image, maybe moving it to the left would help, hard to say without trying it.
Then with the new clean space remove the ribbon and adding the ballon or rose its a good idea.

Ok now I get what you're were saying.... if the apple was meant to be a ballon i didn't get it either XDD

When I look at any composition/image, I always try to notice what catches my eye first. In your comp, it was initially any of the primary objects that were not consistent with the main background. Primary objects are those that would be (reasonably) occurring in the main background. The previously mentioned lighting differences with the girl was the first thing I noticed. This was changed.

In your next example, the canoe (1rst) and the cabin (2nd) were what was catching my attention. But after @Argos moved the canoe, this left the cabin. The cabin I can live with as it could be considered transitional...........it's not necessarily a primary object since it's hovering in the air. Secondary objects that would not be consistent with the background can have rules that only apply to them. So the lighting doesn't bother me with those. They're part of the dreamscape.

In addressing your question, I truly apologize and I must be losing it because I had no idea that the large apple was intended to be balloon-like!!!! I thought the big apple was just closer to the viewer as it stands to reason that objects closer to the viewing point (foreground), are larger and blurry. Objects in the middle ground should be in focus and objects farther away (background) would again be growing blurry. This is referring to focal point. I did not realize it was supposed to be a balloon!

Let's see if we can come up with an idea that would make the large apple more balloon -like.
Thank you for your response! I thought of it more as a large dreamy apple floating in the air that she was holding on to.. similar to a balloon.. but then I thought... should I be making it look more like a balloon? I suppose this goes back to "art is subjective" lol but I wondered if there could be a better look for it.

i like the effect the big apple does to the picture, but i agree its a little bit too much, I think it's because is too centered on the image, maybe moving it to the left would help, hard to say without trying it.
Then with the new clean space remove the ribbon and adding the ballon or rose its a good idea.

Ok now I get what you're were saying.... if the apple was meant to be a ballon i didn't get it either XDD
The rose idea sounds like a nice idea. I'm going to think about this one some more.. Thanks!

Much better! the canoe looks awesome! the book is in a much better position and the flowers look awesome as well... the big apple location is the only thing I'm not convinced

Much better! the canoe looks awesome! the book is in a much better position and the flowers look awesome as well... the big apple location is the only thing I'm not convinced
Thank you! It kind of looks half eaten :cautious:

Haha, You could try to play with shadows to blend it and lose that sensation but it would be hard work to make it right and still not convinced that location is the best.

I would replace the cabin for a bigger apple and transform that apple into a treehouse, that would be a challenge!! XDDD

Quick question, what does the cabin symbolize?

I would replace the cabin for a bigger apple and transform that apple into a treehouse, that would be a challenge!! XDDD
Ok... I really like this challenge.
Let's see what my level 1 Photoshop skills can come up with. LOL

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 6.38.23 PM.png

I can't seem to find a better place for the apple.. but I made some changes to it.

I finally went and viewed a video on the giving tree story. Rather than a dream that you may have had, it seems as though your following the story line of the book. You have a tree (trees), at least one of the carvings in the tree, the apples, the money, the home built from branches, and the boat built from the trunk. All that's missing now is a stump.

The balloon idea no longer makes sense. Not sure about the snow. Also not sure that the large apple belongs. For me it's still a great piece! I have to admit though, I enjoyed the imagery much better when I didn't know the story.

But, as far as suggestions go, do away with the large apple and incorporate the stump somehow. I would not mess with the cabin, it's at least consistent with the story.

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 6.53.41 PM.png

I finally went and viewed a video on the giving tree story. Rather than a dream that you may have had, it seems as though your following the story line of the book. You have a tree (trees), at least one of the carvings in the tree, the apples, the money, the home built from branches, and the boat built from the trunk. All that's missing now is a stump.

The balloon idea no longer makes sense. Not sure about the snow. Also not sure that the large apple belongs. For me it's still a great piece! I have to admit though, I enjoyed the imagery much better when I didn't know the story.

But, as far as suggestions go, do away with the large apple and incorporate the stump somehow. I would not mess with the cabin, it's at least consistent with the story.

View attachment 113975
What did you think of the story? I just love that story so much. I read my childhood favorite to my kids and had a dream about the story that same night of a magical giving forest with apples floating everywhere.

I wanted to incorporate all of the story’s “tree gifts” in the forest but yes you are correct about the missing stump. I knew I was forgetting something!

It is interesting that your thoughts about it changed after reading it. I will take your suggestions and make some changes. I think I will finally have to part with the giant apple. Lol

View attachment 113975
Also- I think the flowers make for a nicer idea than the apple... to me, it shows the child bringing a gift in return to say thank you for “mother” nature’s gifts to her. A little different lol

Nice! knowing the story i agree the cabin has to stay XD, big apple better remove, if you add the stump I would not cut the image so it's not too chaotic at the end, also as a final retouchs i would add shadowing below the cabin and some wood planks XD.

Fast example.

The Giving Tree NEW EDITfff.jpg

Nice! knowing the story i agree the cabin has to stay XD, big apple better remove, if you add the stump I would not cut the image so it's not too chaotic at the end, also as a final retouchs i would add shadowing below the cabin and some wood planks XD.

Fast example.

View attachment 113976
Thank you! I like the plank idea!

Very nice! Thanks for sharing your PSD file. I can learn a lot from it.
Thank you & you’re welcome! :)
I’m still learning a lot myself so I’m glad something I’ve shared can help you as well. I’ve actually been wanting to finish this little project because there are a lot of things I want to fix before officially completing it. It has been such a busy time for my family right now but I’m hoping to make some time and post an updated version soon!

Back