What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific My Granddad - a First World War posed photo - in need of restoration.

David B.

Hello. :hat-tip:

This is my first request here and I very much hope that someone can enhance this image, recently unearthed and given to me by my elderly sister (81).

Sadly, I never knew him; he was killed in France at The Battle of the Somme http://www.bbc.co.uk/timelines/ztngxsg

I can, though, see a likeness to my own father (who died in 1985) especially the eyes.

Any help with renovating and/or enhancing this image will be very much appreciated by me and all my family members.

I look forward to viewing what you experts can do! :fingerscrossed:

David B.

Granddad scan.jpeg

Hi David B. well i made a fast study on the subject with the data you provide, because the badge you show seems correct on the bottom but the loop part it's not showing and being shinny and the picture not damage on this section it should show that part too.

My english not being too good i could be wrong, but i seems to me more like "kings own yorkshire light infantry" instead of kings shropshire light infantry".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_Own_Yorkshire_Light_Infantry

http://www.doncaster1914-18.org.uk/...ngs-own-yorkshire-light-infantry-at-war-1916/

Koyli.jpgArchive_Officer_KOYLI.jpg

As i said my english is not good and i could be wrong XD.

Cheers!

Hi Argos

First, let me thank you so much for your additional help. :thumbsup::D

I'm slightly confused though. The image you have shown above is NOT that of my grandfather, so I'm uncertain why you have shown it. :thinking:

Please will you show me a head-shot of MY grandfather so that I may, personally, try to identify the badge?

Thanks again for helping.

David B.

Hi, David,

The image i provided it's from a soldier from "kings own yorkshire light infantry" and it was to prove that the badge is more similar than the badge you provide from "kings shropshire light infantry". (Of course is not your grandfather XD)

As i said the badge in your grandfather picture is too blury so my theory it's based on the shape.

Lame examples XD.

Granddad scans.jpgGranddad scanb.jpg Granddad scana.jpg

Hope it's more understadanble with this images than with my english :rofl:.

Cheers!

Thank you, Argos. :)

I really appreciate the effort you have expended on this matter. What you have illustrated makes complete sense.

My wife and I are are now working on Ancestry.com to see if we can find out more about granddad. If you wish, I'll return here to let you know the outcome of our searches.

Sincerely,

David B.

It's not that best but I gave it a shot. Here you go. I also added a gif of what I did

Attachments

• PicsArt_01-26-02.25.07.jpg
    PicsArt_01-26-02.25.07.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • PicsArt_01-26-02.26.04.gif
    PicsArt_01-26-02.26.04.gif
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
Also you can see I added a lighting texture and it made it a little purplish here is another one without the lighting
And with gray form

Attachments

• IMG_20180126_143222.png
    IMG_20180126_143222.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180126_143324.png
    IMG_20180126_143324.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Also you can see I added a lighting texture and it made it a little purplish here is another one without the lighting
And with gray form

Restoration of such an old photo involves more than changing the colors and sharpening...
It requires removing the cracks and imperfection and fill in the missing parts (to an extend)...

Here is my try at it. I removed the obvious imperfections, and helped the contrast a bit. I didn't try to remove the texture in the background because I feel it gives it some character and detail may have been lost.
Granddad scan_1.jpgGranddad scan_1_GrayScale.jpg

Back