What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My never-ending quest - cross-processing techniques

Sheba

Although I'd like to say I completely understand the original technique of cross processing back in the days of film, ...well, I can't! But I LOVE the effect it gives pictures. An off-color, super saturated, contrasty effect.

Since I've been in the photo editing/enhancing biz for a couple of years now, I'd love to find THE perfect cross processing technique on digital images. I have found a few actions, and this one is the best I have found so far.. (I got it from shanzcan.com)

Here is a sample of what I mean. We shot a wedding and the bride and sister wanted pics of their feet because it was the *joke of the day*. \:] How do you make a picture of feet look fun? :rofl: I ran this action on it and was pleasantly surprised at the results.

Anyone have any ideas on how to refine the cross processing technique? Or want to enlighten me on the whole xprocessing history?

I'll buy 2 then! :rofl: I'll have to check into those, I've heard about the filters before... tyvm

Or want to enlighten me on the whole xprocessing history?

Not really much to tell Sheba. Basically cross processing just involves developing negative (print) film in chemicals designed for positive (slide) film and vise versa. That simple.

Never used this effect myself, so could not advise on particular results or methods from particular films, but it should not be too difficult to achieve similar results in PS. The desired effect is subjective, so I don't know if there is one particular method that would work better than another, just trial and error until you get what you like.

Sark

I say just mess with curves. Who needs expensive filters?

I also like the drastically over-exposed, harsh look of cross-processing, so I've tried to achieve something that is at least similar. All you do is duplicate the layer and drastically change the curves (you could also just boost contrast) and then blend (by changing the opacity or messing with blending modes) the two layers together.

I went from this:

To this:

Pretty neat, huh? I'm not saying this is the exact effect you want, but it's pretty similar. From here you can adjust hues or levels or add an overlay to get some different color combinations and whatnot.You can also add film grain or noise filters to it for effect.

(Hi. I'm new.)

What I remember about the history of cross processing is that back when color negative film was limited in speed (film speed was rated as ASA then, now it's called ISO) you could use transparency film (slide film) rated at much higher than it's normal speed and process it like color negative film and get color prints in situations with lower light than you could normally use.
With today's film that is not necessary, it is used to get the unique look the process gives for artistic purposes.

Back