What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My rectangle isnt thick enough.

Freddan11

Hello. Im trying to make a facecam for myself for my twitch streaming, and im following this guide.

Now, the problem is, my rectangle tool is not thick enough. It seems like this guy who made the tutorial is not using any kind of stroke at all. My question is, why does not my rectangles become as thick as his?

As you can tell im still learning lol

His rectangle:
62369cce2b077f234696aadfdd799d71.png

Mine:
e7cd1afa955687606c53ba6e5ae1c0de.png

colleague

Guru
how does it look after you make 1 rectangle ?
and if you do" ctrl + J" it has to be exact the same

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
as i can see it, he does nothing different from what im doing. I literally followed step by step and my rectangle isnt the same thickness as his.
OK, this is a fairly bad tutorial and I could see where it would be hard to follow for a beginner.

He has 2 layers representing his rectangles.......
Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 10.48.09 AM.png

And you only have one.....
Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 10.48.34 AM.png

Your colors are opposite and your rectangles are not aligned the same.......So you have missed something.

When I follow his instructions, I get this.....
Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 10.58.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 10.58.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 11.10.56 AM.png

Note: The only difference was that I had to turn the color overlay off.........I have no idea why this guy uses this.
Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 11.11.04 AM.png

So you might need to start from scratch and try again. Remember, if your outcome is different than his in ANY step, then you need to go back and try again.

If you have any questions, please ask us.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Also, I would never rasterize or merge my shape layers! By doing this you remove any chance of editing. The guy in the tutorial is using very amateur techniques and destructive editing. Never delete anything or use the Eraser Tool! Use layer masks and the Brush Tool. Duplicate any layers you plan on merging (or just don't merge at all.......there's usually no need for it).

Freddan11

OK, this is a fairly bad tutorial and I could see where it would be hard to follow for a beginner.

He has 2 layers representing his rectangles.......
View attachment 82731

And you only have one.....
View attachment 82732

Your colors are opposite and your rectangles are not aligned the same.......So you have missed something.

When I follow his instructions, I get this.....
View attachment 82733

View attachment 82734

View attachment 82735

Note: The only difference was that I had to turn the color overlay off.........I have no idea why this guy uses this.
View attachment 82736

So you might need to start from scratch and try again. Remember, if your outcome is different than his in ANY step, then you need to go back and try again.

If you have any questions, please ask us.

Thank you so much for replying. The problem is whenever i make a new rectangle, i cant get the thickness everyone else gets, there must be a setting ive messed with and by mistake put it other then default. This is how i get a simple rectangle:

(Mod Edit: Please upload your images)
889a0a4a14e7dd88d4d9fddbbabd44a7.png

Can you tell how the rectangle is thicker on the right side compared to the left side? Any ideas?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The problem is whenever i make a new rectangle, i cant get the thickness everyone else gets, there must be a setting ive messed with and by mistake put it other then default.
No, you just need to increase the size of your stroke............right now it's set a 3pt. (change to px and not pt)

Can you tell how the rectangle is thicker on the right side compared to the left side? Any ideas?
Yes, your seeing the path of the rectangle and it's causing an optical illusion. Hit your escape key a few times and see if that makes a difference.