What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My symbols aren't visible on part of stage. Can anyone help?

eviscia

Hi,
I've been looking around for answers to this, but I am getting nowhere. I even tried the Adobe forums, but their site is buggy right now (imagine that!), so I came here. I hope someone can help.

I am creating a Flash intro for a client's website. This is my first time doing Flash, though I've been using PS & DW for years. I'm not half bad, but I naturally run into errors. So, the client's logo says the gym's name in giant 3-D letters. The letters look like big chunks of metal, and they have "pre-drilled holes" in them at different points. I want bolts to fly in from all angles and screw into the holes. Actually he wants that, I want to just be done with it. Anyway, I have the bolts drawn up, imported, and converted to movie clips. There are three variations. I noticed that when I dragged them on stage and resized them, there is a point of the stage where they disappear and kind of become just the drop shadow (imported as a png, not a layered ps file). The stage is currently 1009x400, and the first bolt starts disappearing when I drag it past 555px horizontally. The second bolt starts disappearing when I drag it past 835px horizontally. I have just discovered that the third bolt doesn't disappear at all. This doesn't make any sense. I have a mask layer, but the bolt layers are above it in the timeline. I have the keyframes right, and there isn't anything set at exactly 555px or 835 px, that I know of. I haven't even touched Actionscript yet. I hope someone can help. You can find any details below that you may need. Thanks in advance.

Adobe Flash Professional CS4 (part of Master Collection)
Running on homemade computer with Asus mobo, 8gb RAM, etc etc. (It's definitely not a hw issue lol)bolts1.JPG

UPDATE: I found out this only occurs when the zoom is 100% or fit to window. When I zoomed in to 400%, the bolts moved normally. This makes even less sense than before. Any ideas?

I think I figured out how to fix the issue. It doesn't explain why it is doing this, but I think it has something to do with resizing the original PNG file in Flash, instead of PS. The images are gigantic. I think I made the one side view bolt about 2100px wide. I think that might be messing it up, perhaps too many pixels to render. So, here is what I did:

Import the original PNG files in Flash and resize them to see how small I need them to be.
Get the dimensions in the Properties.
Delete the instances and delete it in the library.
Open the PNG in PS (keep the original PSD files the same size as they were, and modify the PNG instead)
Resize it and save it.
In Flash, Insert New Symbol. Name it and set as Movie Clip.
Import new PNG version into Library, and drag into Symbol's edit mode.
Set the reference point as center, and click Stage to exit.
Select frame where I want it to be, and drag the symbol in.
Test it by dragging it left to right and transforming it. It's not disappearing and works great!

I figured I'd explain that in case anyone else ran into the same issue and Googled it, looking for answers.

Back