What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need expert help from the gurus

SharmaN

Hi, Gurus I am trying to insert an image into a shape. I clip masked the image to my shape and its taking the image inside of the shape and the rest of the image is not showing up. I am also attaching the one i am trying to achieve. Do I need to mask it?

This is the original one :

original.jpg

This is the one am trying : (Look at here the rest of the image is not visible as the original one

ss.jpg

This is PSD I am working on

Attachments

• ss.psd
    930.9 KB · Views: 4
Another way.

1. Create a duplicate of the photo layer. (Should not apply a clipping mask to it)
2. Add a layer mask to it.
3. Then delete the part of the photo that should be inside the circle using a brush tool.

By doing this, you can also adjust the position of the photo by selecting both photo layers.

duplicate.png

Attachments

• clipping mask.psd
    1.4 MB · Views: 2

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I can see the advantage of using a clipping mask. However, it's not the only way to re-position your subject/man.

Because the subject/man has been isolated and is on a transparent BG, all you need to do is to add to your existing layer mask.

Select the layer mask by clicking on it.
Choose your Rectangular Marquee Tool and make a wide and tall selection just below the subjects/mans chin and above his shoulders, fill this layer with white.
You will go from this................
Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 11.10.45 AM.png
To this.
Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 11.11.57 AM.png

Layers panel
Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 11.03.07 AM.png

You can stop here but........
If you want the option to re-position the MAN, just clink on the link icon between the MAN and the layer mask to turn it off.
Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 11.03.20 AM.png

Select the MAN thumbnail (not the layer mask) and you can use the Move Tool to move him around.
There may be be some limitations but not many and only if you move his shoulders outside the ellipse above the masked area. These can be remedied by using the Brush Tool on the layer mask.

These changes in position were done without altering (adding more) the layer mask that was created using the Rectangular Marquee Tool selection/fill from above.
Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 11.03.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 11.03.58 AM.png

Here, he's higher but his shoulders are inside the ellipse and the masked area.
Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 11.24.42 AM.png

SharmaN

Ok basing on the above teaching I come up with this. I used both [ iLLuSioN ] & IamSam techniques. But one thing conspicuous on both the versions I made the image is not aligned properly in the given shape. Seems something wrong I am doing? Please explain to me in detail. Thank you !! I attached the layers PSD and the JPEG both Thank you !!

This is Layered PSD :

Attachments

• My_Testings.psd
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
But one thing conspicuous on both the versions I made the image is not aligned properly in the given shape. Seems something wrong I am doing?
OK, I see now what I did wrong. I accidentally used the [iLLuSioN] PSD file and not yours form your OP. You used a clipping mask and he used a layer mask.

Disregard my post. Use @GeneGraphics solution.

I will delete my post above to avoid any further confusion.

SharmaN

OK, I see now what I did wrong. I accidentally used the [iLLuSioN] PSD file and not yours form your OP. You used a clipping mask and he used a layer mask.

Disregard my post. Use @GeneGraphics solution.

I will delete my post above to avoid any further confusion.
No no, your method is the best one .What am trying to ask you is how to fix that image is not aligned with the shape on both the cases? Seems I need to brush off the extra things?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What am trying to ask you is how to fix that image is not aligned with the shape on both the cases?
You would have to start with an exact selection of the inside of the ellipse for your layer mask. Inside the stroke.
Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 1.21.04 PM.png

Reopened my post above. Maybe it can help out in future visits to this thread.

SharmaN

You would have to start with an exact selection of the inside of the ellipse for your layer mask. Inside the stroke.
View attachment 115721

Reopened my post above. Maybe it can help out in future visits to this thread.
Thank you. Also, I can modify the selection by contacting the selection to 10 pixels as I gave 10 pixels stroke and then invert the selection and brush off the extra things ?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I can modify the selection by contacting the selection to 10 pixels as I gave 10 pixels stroke
Yes, this is exactly how I made the selection..................I should have explained that.