What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help coloring a scanned image.

dhamon

I have an image that I scanned, and I want to color it, but it's a sketch, so just paint-bucketing it won't cut it. I wase is either a way to color it so it doesn't leave white spots all over, and it doesn't fill the entire image (changing tolerance doesn't help), or a way for photoshop to trace the sketched lines with plain black ones. The picture is attached.

Thank you.

That's what I needed, thanks. And sorry I double-posted the topic. I was using Safari, and it was being ugly, so I had to switch to IE. Somewhere in there I must have thought that the first post didn't work.

Here's a technique I've just seen Burt Monroy do on TechTv
1. Use levels command to darken image.
(Image>Adjustments>Levels)
2. Duplicate the background to a seperate layer.
3. Set your new layer to the MULTIPLY mode.
4. Create a new layer BETWEEN the Multiply and original layer for each color you want.
5. In each layer, select paint brush in whatever color you want.
6. (Optional) Use burn & dodge for shadows and Hilites.
7. Have Fun!!! :perfect:

Ijiljana: Oops, I just went to the link you sent, and it's a similar technique. :\

dhamon,
Heres a way of coloring the just the lines.
Use image adjust and contrast to darken the lines and whiten the whites. Select the majic wand tool - select similar - select inverse -
command J . This frees your lines from Bkgnd layer. Clean up any unwanted stuff that the Majic wand leaves behind - eliminate it..

Command Click on your line liberated layer. Keep selection going while you choose a foreground color and open layer 3. On layer 3 go option delete to bring new color in. You can then turn off your 2 underlying layers. This has worked for me countless times plus you can option delete a gradient in,
Ferlin :B

Back