What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Need help editing the edge of an image

jfharrison

Hi Folks,
Can someone show me the best way to remove the "starred" portion of this image. How do I clean-up the frame and get rid of the funky beige artifact along the lower edge? I would appreciate learning the tools and approach to this sort of problem.

jfharrison_a_carved_wooden_circular_frame.png

MrToM

Guru
Possibly the simplest, easiest and quickest way would be to use a 'Layer Mask', whether it's the best way is entirely down to you and your skills using PS.

Below is an example of a simple Layer mask:

MASKING_01.png

In an effort to avoid bombarding you with PS jargon I'll keep this simple, and to be honest it doesn't really need to be any more involved than this...

01. Duplicate the layer just in case, you'll see it at the bottom of the stack, locked and hidden.
02. Create a 'Fill Layer' between the two and fill with a neutral grey, or whatever is easy for you to see the 'edge' clearly.
03. Add a layer mask to the top layer.
04. Paint on the mask with a small, soft brush. Paint in BLACK and the pixels will be HIDDEN. Paint in WHITE and they wont. (Mask is shown in second image but it's not shown by default.)

MASKING_02.png

Thats it in a nutshell.
You should be able to find numerous tutorials on 'Layer Masks' which will explain all of the above in greater detail including the many methods of creating one.
We will of course still help you here if you need it.

Regards.
MrToM.

jfharrison

Possibly the simplest, easiest and quickest way would be to use a 'Layer Mask', whether it's the best way is entirely down to you and your skills using PS.

Below is an example of a simple Layer mask:

View attachment 136126

In an effort to avoid bombarding you with PS jargon I'll keep this simple, and to be honest it doesn't really need to be any more involved than this...

01. Duplicate the layer just in case, you'll see it at the bottom of the stack, locked and hidden.
02. Create a 'Fill Layer' between the two and fill with a neutral grey, or whatever is easy for you to see the 'edge' clearly.
03. Add a layer mask to the top layer.
04. Paint on the mask with a small, soft brush. Paint in BLACK and the pixels will be HIDDEN. Paint in WHITE and they wont. (Mask is shown in second image but it's not shown by default.)

View attachment 136127

Thats it in a nutshell.
You should be able to find numerous tutorials on 'Layer Masks' which will explain all of the above in greater detail including the many methods of creating one.
We will of course still help you here if you need it.

Regards.
MrToM.
MrToM,
Thanks for the prompt and concise reply to my inquiry. Very helpful and easy to follow. Much appreciated!
---Jared Harrison

MrToM

Guru
Very helpful and easy to follow. Much appreciated!

No worries.

I can go into more detail if you need anything explaining, I don't know your confidence with PS so it's a little 'sparse' to start with.

Good luck.

Regards.
MrToM.

jfharrison

No worries.

I can go into more detail if you need anything explaining, I don't know your confidence with PS so it's a little 'sparse' to start with.

Good luck.

Regards.
MrToM.

Hello again,
BTW -- Where did you get or how did you construct your cool Info panel with all the shortcut buttons? (MTP 2023?)
---Jared Harrison

MrToM

Guru
Where did you get or how did you construct your cool Info panel with all the shortcut buttons? (MTP 2023?)

Hi Jared,
The panel is mine, MTP = MrToM's Panel, (Took me and a higly dedicated team of blue-sky thinking engineers many hours to think up that one!), I'm on version 2023.

I posted it here in the forum some time, (9 years), ago but interest was, shall we say, sleight.

It was primarily intended to save guides with a document but evolved, (not feature creep), into a panel of shortcuts for the things I did most.
There are also buttons for those things that PS just 'doesn't do' like zooming to a selection(not CC 2019), single spot colour selection, incremental saving and auto (timed) saving of documents.....you know, what you want from image editing software that Adobe fail to include...(But notice they are slowly adding the features I have had for years!!!!)

Adobe, in their infinite wisdom, have moved the goal posts yet AGAIN!!!! with panel development so even this version is soon to be replaced, with UPS or XUP or PUX or whatever its called once they get their act together and get it working, then I'll have to start again, for the second time!!!! Grrrr.

The current version works with PS CC 2019, (Although some functionality is just not possible), to PS 2023.

Thanks for asking, appreciated.

Regards.
MrToM.