What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help for a class.

Oasis2011

I'm new, I mean very new, to photoshop. I'm taking an online course that started 2 weeks ago. I've gotten stuck and it's frustrating me. I know this sounds silly but I'm not sure which tools to use, lasso, magic wand, quick selection. I asked my instructor but he was unclear. Also the zoom in/out functions drive me crazy. I hope someone can help. Thanks.

You need to ask a specific question. The correct tool will depend on the image. If you have a specific image, post it and we can help you in telling you what tool would be best for the job.

I have to get a snowboarder moved over to here.
Where is here? Are we moving this snowboarder out of this image or are we moving another snowboarder into this image.

You need to explain yourself or we will have a hard time helping you.

Actually I would probably use the quick selection tool as there is a significant contrast (in the main) between the figure and the background.

The zoom method I use most frequently is the alt key + mouse wheel. However many people use the Ctrl + Number Pad + and -. You can also use Ctrl + 0 to make the image fill the work area.

Without seeing the online lessons I would also say that if the tutor is having difficulty answering the basic questions you are asking I would question the suitability of the course - Just my humble opinion.

Cheers

John

I think so too, but I'm having trouble de-selecting things I didn't want to include.

When you are using the quick selection tool if you hold down the alt key the symbol in the middle of the selection cursor turns from a + to a - and clicking will subtract from selection rather than add to selection.

Cheers

John

Thanks for your help. I've practiced a bit and am very gradually getting a hang of it. I'm sure I'll have many other questions though.

Back