What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Need help maintaining some color during a rgb to cmyk transfer.

DarkKnight85

Hi,

So I'm having some trouble taking an image and converting it from RGB to CMYK. For this particular image, just a lot of the strong greens are not converting well at all. A lot of black color is also being dropped around the boarders. Now I've done some research on it, and I guess this is all normal when trying to go to CMYK. To my understanding, the reason is because CMYK literally doesn't have the additional colors to work with that RBG has. But is there some type of work around for this?

I've looked at a few tutorials from youtube but none of them have worked for this particular image. I tried selecting the colors out of the gamut warning range, and then making an adjustment layer and bring down the saturation, but the image remains pretty uninspiring lol.

Here is the image. If anyone has any ideas or methods, maybe you could point me in the right direction. I'm not really a photoshop person, more of a 3d modeling person, but I should be able to follow a tutorial/method if someone has one. Or if someone wants to just take a crack at it, that would be cool too!

Legion artwork.jpg

Have a look here at converting sRGB to CMYK.
It is quite elaborated but the best explaination so far...

A little note you should remember that CMYK gamut have less colors than RGB:
512px-CIE1931xy_gamut_comparison.svg.png

And as you can see CMYK lacks a lot of blue/greens colors versus for example Adobe RGB.

Back