What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need help on feathering (Vignetting)

If it was me doing it I would have taken a different aproach I would have used a radial gradient on a layer mask of transparant to white it would have given softer edges but I have made it as simple as possible. and included my keyboard shortcuts. it is easier for you to follow the video this way here is my psd from video View attachment 00-Rina-112.psd
I should add that when I use the brush tool to tweak my mask I actually use the soft brush at 0% hardness
here is the tutorial video

...looks good....I saved your video to review in detail later... just a thought I had... for me to do similar projects again; might it be easier to create a custom brush... doughnut-oval shape... then just dodge the vignette..??... btw... you're talking to an old analog darkroom guy here... dodge & burn is something I relate to..!!

your psd of my project looks great... if I could do something similar in under an hour, I'd be happy..!!

talk to ya later... happy March 1.... Robt

...dv8...this looks good; not sure which result I like better... I'm more interested in learning the technique, so I can apply it to similar projects... can you summarize your procedure for me..??

thankx for posting... if you can post a higher-res image, that I can print; I need to get some other opinions... it seems to me the white border would probably look better on darker backgrounds, but your blending certainly looks good here.

I actually think I prefer it without the white vignette on like DV8s version because with the white feather it blends into the backgrond to much.

So I would use Dv8s technique as you have colour edges to stick out more.

ps All you need to do for DV8s version is the same as the video but dont use the white fill layer and gaussian blur mask of the circle and then use a very soft brush to blend in the edges.

View attachment dbjxuo9x.psd

Sorry... was busy somewhere deep in the forum boiler room .... lol

In my psd, I dragged in an elliptical selection of image 2. I then applied a mask on the layer.

CTRL+click layer 2 image icon to select the image. In Menu>SELECT>FEATHER... I chose a radius of 30 pixels. CTRL+Shift+I to inverse selection.

click on the layer mask icon to make it active and hit delete. This will delete the mask to create the vignette and will not affect the layer 2 image. I had to apply/hit delete 2 more times to get the fade effect I wanted. It would be good idea to hide the selection ants so you can have a clear view of the entire image while hitting delete.

I hope I outlined clear for you.... lol...

Hope it helps.

ok guys... I guess I'm ready for my 'final grade'... here's the image I did... but remembering this procedure a week from now, is a different story..!! Question.. something is going on with this image, I don't understand... depending on the magnification; I notice little white artifacts (specks) that appear randomly... most noticed in the dark areas of the upper-left..??... they change location, depending on the magnification of the image... does this have something to do with me not removing a layer, or not flattening the final image..??... not sure if they will show on-line, or not.

anyway... thankx again... I owe ya a brewsky... Robt :)

00-Rina-112-BKend22ss.jpg

...BTW...just so I got an idea... is this a 'newbie' level thread, or more appropriate in the general forum..??

thx again

Back