What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Help to get this effect

dineshtendulkar

I want to get the effect of this image, please share the detailed tutorial for the following

1. The bevel effect as below
  2. The shadows all around the bevel was uniformly black (which am not able to achieve in the layer style, when am apply drop shadows only on the two sides the shadows appearing, how it is achieved on all the sides)
  3. The mesh texture application
Thanks in advance

Sample.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Can you post your work that you have so far?

The bevel effect as below
This is easily done with a layer style bevel and emboss.

The shadows all around the bevel was uniformly black (which am not able to achieve in the layer style, when am apply drop shadows only on the two sides the shadows appearing, how it is achieved on all the sides)
Don't use a layer style drop shadow even though one can be used.
(Note: Below is a layer style drop shadow. Not sure what your asking about)
Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 11.35.56 AM.png

You can use a manual drop shadow. I have explained how to create a "manual" drop shadow layer for you in one of your other threads. Just create a manual drop shadow layer. If one does not work, create a second (for both sides) with layer masking.

The mesh texture application
The mesh texture layer must be below the other layers. It can be applied in several ways. The easiest would be just a texture layer.

The sample image you posted above looks "cut out". There' obviously more to this image. So it's really hard to advise you on what you need to do here.

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 11.06.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 11.07.48 AM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Let's say you have a hole or cutout in a shape and you want a uniform drop shadow all the way around.
Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 11.19.21 AM.png

Create a new layer, make a selection of the shape, fill with black. Name layer "Manual drop shadow". Convert to smart object.

Transform that "Manual drop shadow layer" using free transform...
Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 11.17.44 AM.png

Add a smart Gaussian filter..............adjust.
Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 11.18.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 11.18.24 AM.png

Far too many times users become dependent on easy "one click" solutions using a layer style..............layers styles can not always be used.

dineshtendulkar

Dear Mr. Sam,

Thanks for the brief explanation.

This is the result what i got. I will practice manual drop shadow and update you.

Untitled-1.jpg

dineshtendulkar

I am trying to draw the rounded rectangle, the properties are not displaying in the panel, it displays the properties of the mask. What i should do to get back the properties?

properties error.jpg

dineshtendulkar

Hi Sam,

I followed your brief and the output is awesome. Thanks. I have one more question, after applying pattern I am not able to colour the object.

I tried to apply color overlay, it is filling with color and not showing the pattern. Tried hue saturation adjustment, but due to black there is no result.

Then i tried apply color overlay and changed the blending mode to Overlay. Is it the correct approach or other ways to do it.

Untitled-2.png Untitled 2.jpg Untitled 3.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I am trying to draw the rounded rectangle, the properties are not displaying in the panel, it displays the properties of the mask. What i should do to get back the properties?
In older versions of Ps, the properties are displayed in the Tools Options Bar when the Rounded Rectangle Tool is selected.
Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 2.03.38 AM.png

after applying pattern I am not able to colour the object.
Certain patterns are colored. Don't use these unless you want the added color.
Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 2.04.58 AM.png

Is it the correct approach or other ways to do it.
Well, as with all things Photoshop, you can do things many different ways. There's nothing wrong with a layer style pattern overlay, although you may need to chose a pattern without color or create/change one that is in color to black and white.

You can always add a texture layer above the shape layer, add a layer mask, set it's blending option to the one that looks best, and lower it's opacity.
Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 2.17.35 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 2.17.56 AM.png