What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Help w/ Smoke Effect

Hey everyone!

So I have an image that I have a specific vision for. What I'd like to do is create the idea of smoke coming off the back of my model, and some burning embers around her skin. Ideally she would basically be a living, breathing, burning ember.

I've done some tutorial research but nothing I find is really honing in on what I need.

I would love it if you lovely people were able to point me in the right direction, as I'm really excited to finish up this image and actually execute my vision ! :)

(this is a photo of my image, becuase my internet was down at home.) :mad2:

burn.jpg

Well the smoke is easy just film it against a black background & just light the smoke then just use Screen as the layer mode.

As for the embers you could try and map images of lava over.

Last edited:
Hey KTP, the smoke is easy! Just get yourself a good set of smoke brushes!

The embers should also be fairly straight forward. Just open a good "ember" reference into the document and add a layer mask. Use the Brush Tool, Blend mode, opacity, etc., to blend the embers to her back.

I will add an example to this post here in a little while.

edit:
Note that I also used layer masks on the smoke layers as well.

This may not be exactly what you envisioned, but it will give you an idea of how it's done.
Screen Shot 2013-12-17 at 10.52.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-12-17 at 10.52.54 PM.png

Last edited:
Great, glad you like the idea.

Since you stated you had 10 years of experience, I left the description a little vague. If you have questions just let us know.

KTP, that looks great! Good job!

You might could soften the smoke, ever so slightly, where it meets her back and I'm not sure about the area, what appears to be transparency maybe, of her head/hair.

You can achieve some relatively credible realism with composting, it just takes practice! Your off to a good start.

Thanks IAmSam!
the hair transparency is actually on camera. I shot this on a 6 second shutter and she sat up while the shutter was open. I was actually hoping it would give the illusion of her moving slowly / ghostly but we didn't quite get that lol oops.

ill definitely work on the transparency close to the skin and lighten the smoke a tad.

Great suggestions, thanks!

If interested, you can fix that transparent area.

Screen Shot 2013-12-19 at 8.45.18 AM.png

This was just real quick to demonstrate!
I added a curves adjustment layer and pulled it to the dark side. I reversed the mask on the adjustment layer (com + I) and used The Brush Tool (with the flow set to about 30%) with a small soft brush and white to kinda hide the transparency. It's a burning technique which uses native coloring.

I also freehand brushed in some light and dark hairs on a new layer.

I also think the whole 'gasmask' imagery as been flogged to death now.

Back