What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with editing style

majam.art

Hello, I need someone's help. this picture is from Russian photographer Ana Bondareva. I've been trying for a long time to figure out how it works in photoshop to edit an image this way, to look like it has some slight effect drawn with crayon, or something like that. Do you notice that in the picture? Does anyone know how I can make that effect?
174775698_888603411700054_5071262534723179948_n.jpg

JeffK

Guru
Just playing with this - I strongly suspect she's using a type of painting filter effect. But first, she started out with an incredibly detailed and beautifully composed shot.
I used Filter -Stylize - Oil Paint and then increased the saturation on her lips and hair. Gave it a bit of a curves adjustment to brighten it up.
I also initially separated the girl from the background:

girl with hat no edit.jpg girl with hat edited.jpg

This is just my guess and my first impression. It's also a quick edit so I'm sure this can be played with a bit more.

Excellent work by Bondareva - checked out her work on Instagram and very impressive!

- Jeff

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
In addition to a great shot and high resolution, I'm certain there were some adjustments made to the model as suggested by Jeff. I feel the most obvious alteration was the isolation and separation of the subject and railing from the background, and then a strong blur was added to the background.

The techniques used again in this photo. The filter is obvious in the hair and the strong blurring of the background.
1000-15cc07172dc1feed50ed0de42a449eb3.jpg

I learned a long time ago that it's virtually impossible to guess at what someone else is doing on an edit. Photoshop (as well as other apps) are far too vast to in their capabilities with almost infinite choices or possibilities for any of us to guess. We can make educated suppositions but only the creator knows exactly what they did.

ushere

in general, i move this slider to the left, this one to the right, add a few points to the colour curves, then tweak this other slider, then add this filter, then the other one and hey presto, there you have it.

works every time...